Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

6 bolt heads, o-ring heads.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 08:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 bolt heads, o-ring heads.

Just looking around now for a set f heads for my build and I was just wonderign what is the problem with O-ring heads.... seems like alot of you guys shy away from these? I thought it made thingsmore dependable, for th e price to hae a set f heads machined and wire put in is next to nuthing to make sure you have awsome seal on a boosted engine..
Im looking for an agressive 6 bolt head but why not go ahead and o-ring them as well I am wanting to build a retarded steet car and decent track engine for it I know 1500 hp is obtainable now as many ppl on here are striving for it. so if anyone has soe good sudjestions on 6 bolt heads let me know.
As well if anyone has any reasons NOt to o-ring a head let me know as well because im under the impression its a failsafe yes more money but worth it in the long run no?
thanks guys
Old 10-28-2007, 08:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my Dart's225 o-ringed,just because of the thin deck height. I thought about doing the AFR's as well, but will try it first without them.I personally like the extra satisfaction of knowing that they were o-ringed and that it helped seal the combustion chamber under alot of hp.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:47 PM
10 Second Club

I haven't read very much about this.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:08 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

There two problems with o-ringed heads. First is that you can not use a MLS gasket with them. You have to use a graphite type of gasket. Second, you have to be very careful handling and/or installing the heads. One small nick, scape, or ding in the o-ring wire can cause problems.

Keith
Old 10-29-2007, 11:26 AM
Launching!

replacing the oring isnt that hard if the heads already have them though.. ? I assumed for longevity and security take your time get the heads oringed and run a good set of gaskets and youll be set for quite some time.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:44 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls1290
There two problems with o-ringed heads. First is that you can not use a MLS gasket with them. You have to use a graphite type of gasket. Second, you have to be very careful handling and/or installing the heads. One small nick, scape, or ding in the o-ring wire can cause problems.

Keith
Yes you can use MLS gasket's. I used the 6ltr. 3 layer and the new 5 layer flat gasket. The 3 layer the o-ring sit's perfectly in the groove,and the new 5 layer gasket has the top shim so thin it compresses into the groove below it!
Obviously you have never used o-ring head's with these gasket's. O-ring heads work perfectly fine with these mls gasket's!

Quick Reply: 6 bolt heads, o-ring heads.