Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

MLS Head Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MLS Head Gaskets

For some reason i am seeing several part #s for these gaskets ,also from the info i gathered ,i talked to gunnar ,because i am running a patriot heads,he thinks they will be ok to use,but i was asked what yr block i have & i have an 00 block ,stock 5.7 ltr block with patriot 5.7 ltr ,the patriot castings ,i just put these MLs gaskets on the motor & Now i am getting a slight oil leak around the #2 cylr on the bottom of the lip of the head,i know for a fact i tqrd them all in sequence the way the dealer manual reccommended & the block was clean,the felpro gasket that was on the car before i put the blower on the car did the same thing in the exact same spot,the only thing i didnt do is have the heads decked or trued up the way they should have been ,i really think this is the reason for the leaking oil,now it doesnt do this on both sides ,just the pass side,what do u guys think ?Maybe the head needs 2 to 4 thousands cut on it to cure the leak >?Also the gaskets for the 97-01 that i see is a graphite gasket ,i really dont wanna run a graphite gasket , i wanna run the newer mls gasket ,anyone running the new style mls gasket on the 97-01 older block?This time i am planning on taking the heads back off & sending them to gunnar & letting him deck them & put new seals in the heads i just dont wanna have to take them off for 3rd time in a month because of the wrong gaskets,i was also gonna spray some copper top permatex sealer on both sides of the gaskets when i get rdy to install them ,any one have the correct # on the gm mls gasket that will fit my 00 block without any issues ? i really could use the help ,thanks guys
Old 12-13-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

12589226 is the MLS head gasket number you want. No need for the copper spray. The graphite gasket is for the older blocks only, while the MSL gaskets can be ran on all year LS1/6 blocks...Weird problem...Sucks. You sure the oil is not coming out of the breather?? I get a little oil dripping out of the ECS breather every now and then when I run it hard...
Old 12-14-2007, 09:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chriswtx
12589226 is the MLS head gasket number you want. No need for the copper spray. The graphite gasket is for the older blocks only, while the MSL gaskets can be ran on all year LS1/6 blocks...Weird problem...Sucks. You sure the oil is not coming out of the breather?? I get a little oil dripping out of the ECS breather every now and then when I run it hard...
I am not 100 % sure that its the breather dripping a little oil ,instead of taking them off the car again ,i was considering retorquing the pass side head down maybe 5 more ftlbs of tq ,there sitting @ 70 ft lbs right now ,i was gonna bump it up to 75ish & see if that will cure it ,the # on the headgasket u gave me chris is the same one that i bought last time ,i have ran the car hot 1 time before i installed the blower ,like i said it did it before with the old setup in the same location & it may have warped the head ,i dont know ,i would think that if it did warp it ,they could shave 2 to 4 thousands off of it & get it back in shape,if it was coming out of the breather is there something ican do to stop it from leaking @ the breather ? ,this is leaking wether i am getting on it or not ,its being a pain in the *** to modify anything ,but it wouldnt be any fun if it was stock ,this is what i keep telling myself anyhow ,
Old 12-14-2007, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, head may be warped a little if it did it before and you have gotten it hot before..Have the head milled a little...

Quick Reply: MLS Head Gaskets