Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo exhaust tube diameter questions???

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remeber the dutweiler thunderbird that ran comp eliminator. It ran a 399 ford, and said it had 1.5 inch headers, they looked like 1 5/8's to me but may have been pretty thick. It only ran 6.70's about 10 years ago..... it probably made in the 1600 hp area I bet.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SS4Matt
i used 1 3/4" stainless for my header material, and then a stainless works collector and 2 1/2" stainless for my crossover from the merge to the turbo, and from the turbo all the way to the back of the car is 4" stainless downpipe. and all my cold stuff is in aluminum 3 1/2" and 4"
If you could link up a pic for me to view, that would be awesome. I'm not really sure what you mean by the term "crossover" either. I was thinking more along the lines of something like the pic that I have attached. But I am unsure of primary tube sizes for the application that I plan on running.
Attached Thumbnails Turbo exhaust tube diameter questions???-ss-exhaust.jpg   Turbo exhaust tube diameter questions???-ss-exhaust-1.jpg  
Old 12-24-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TT LS2 1969 Camaro
If you could link up a pic for me to view, that would be awesome. I'm not really sure what you mean by the term "crossover" either. I was thinking more along the lines of something like the pic that I have attached. But I am unsure of primary tube sizes for the application that I plan on running.
i don't have a camera at the moment since my last one took a **** and i've been too cheap to go buy a new one but just like your pictures show...the headers are all 1 3/4". the "Crossover" is in 2 1/2" the crossover is the piece that goes from each collector/header to the turbo.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
how are they going to rust from the inside if you have them coated.
they will be fine if coated.
some of my junk has been ok, also check out klyes green TA that stenod built looks fine to me.
What are the pros and cons of using stainless vs. mild steel?
Will the mild steel hold up in a 20psi of boost situation for a street-driven car?
I appreciate all of your input, fellas!
Old 12-26-2007, 05:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the mild vs SS has been done many times on here before, do a search, litterly HUNDREDS of threads
Old 12-26-2007, 09:50 AM
11 Second Club

Thing to remember is that the more area you have the less velocity you will achieve unless you are going to spin it hard. Gotta have velocity to get the exhaust wheel moving. Just part of the puzzle.

Jim C.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:39 AM
Banned

Volume > velocity.

Although you need the velocity, the volume of exhaust is more critical. So you need to find the size that maximizes velocity without impacting volume.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Big Geek
Thing to remember is that the more area you have the less velocity you will achieve unless you are going to spin it hard. Gotta have velocity to get the exhaust wheel moving. Just part of the puzzle.

Jim C.
I understand....Does anyone know the approximate diameter size of the "truck" manifold exhaust manifolds? I think that would be a good starting point for me to determine what exactly I need for my set-up, if guys are out there using them to go 7's!!! That's unbelieveable!
Old 12-26-2007, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am not sure on the truck manifold size, but I just put on a pair of C6 manifolds and they look A LOT better than the stock 2001 F-body manifolds I have.

The other nice thing about the stock manifolds is that they are cast and durable. I have twin TC66's from Forced inductions and they are capable of 1000 at the tire.

So I decided to run the C6 manifolds for cost and ease of installation. Plus they are durable and they are easy to change plugs on.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by W8N2SQZ
I am not sure on the truck manifold size, but I just put on a pair of C6 manifolds and they look A LOT better than the stock 2001 F-body manifolds I have.

The other nice thing about the stock manifolds is that they are cast and durable. I have twin TC66's from Forced inductions and they are capable of 1000 at the tire.

So I decided to run the C6 manifolds for cost and ease of installation. Plus they are durable and they are easy to change plugs on.
Hmmm...any pics of the manifold or a twin turbo set-up with those manifolds? I have a '69 Camaro...not sure of clearence issues that would arise from either of the manifolds. A pic will kinda give me a good idea of locatio and or space and routing requirements. I appreciate the feedback! Please keep it comming.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats the exact setup I'm starting on.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

NICE!!

I should have pictures in about three weeks!

How about you?
Old 12-26-2007, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

NICE!!

I should have pictures in about three weeks!

How about you?
I'm a ways out finishing up the motor now.

Last edited by ABeasst; 12-29-2007 at 12:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Turbo exhaust tube diameter questions???