Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

who makes a good bolt on and go turbo/SC kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default who makes a good bolt on and go turbo/SC kit?

I know this is probably answered some where but for the life of me I cant find it. If you have links please post.
I am looking for a good 'bolt and go' turbo or preferably supercharged kit. Some thing that was designed specifically to work with the stock setup.

I have no objections to throwing in a better oil pump, timing chain, push rods, and valve springs if need be. I just want something that I can install once, set up once, and drive it daily with no hassle. I’m not out to be the fastest thing on the road, I would be more than happy with 400-450hp. I just don’t want to have to rebuild the entire car or have to tweak the fuel maps every other day!....
Old 02-20-2008, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A lot of members will say tell you to call Bob over at EPP. I've talked to him on several occasions and found him to very helpful in many ways.

Sounds like a Procharger will better suit your needs
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...l?category=186

BTW what car will this be going on ? Give us some more information so we can better help you as well.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

Not trying to be an ***, but try a search first. It will answer all of your questions. There is so much information at your fingertips. It is only one small search away.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MonkeyBoneSS

BTW what car will this be going on ? Give us some more information so we can better help you as well.
oops, sorry I still have to re-learn this site... so used to this place being just f-bodys and corvetts, and if you ask a question and dont mention you have a vett you have an f-body! LOL

Its a 99 firebird.

Originally Posted by smokin2001formula
Not trying to be an ***, but try a search first. It will answer all of your questions. There is so much information at your fingertips. It is only one small search away.
This is why I hate to make posts like this requesting general info...

Yes I searched
and no I didn’t find the answer I was looking for
and yes I did read all through the stickies as well....

searches are easy if you have a list of brands you are looking for but I do not. I know there has to be some posts dealing with this but usually if I can hit on the right buzz words within the first 45 minuts I ask.

The only posts I run across are ones where people are asking about what kits will get them what eta's and what ones get them what HP... There is just no clear answer...

So if you guys can suggest more kits I can search for info on them and see how friendly they are to stock engines.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MonkeyBoneSS
A lot of members will say tell you to call Bob over at EPP. I've talked to him on several occasions and found him to very helpful in many ways.

Sounds like a Procharger will better suit your needs
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...l?category=186

Yeah I like the looks of that!
so I assume the Programmer they talk about is a pre-mapped cpu that you can tweek in later or do you have to set all the maps your self?
ahh well, More to look into
Keep the suggestions comming.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to be an *** but if you searched and never found that answer I really don't know what to tell you. Maybe get an electric supercharger for all out performance. All honesty, sounds like an D-1 kit and don't look back. All turbo kits require some mods and none are a true bolt on and usually are more. Sounds like a supercharger is for you and reccommend a ATI kit but vortech works well to if you stay around base hp levels and a bit above.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:18 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by cudaeh
I know this is probably answered some where but for the life of me I cant find it. If you have links please post.
I am looking for a good 'bolt and go' turbo Some thing that was designed specifically to work with the stock setup.
In terms of a twin turbo system, the APS F body system is about as bolt as as you can buy. The twin turbo system will easily produce around 500 - 550 rwhp at low boost and is ideal for a bone stock LS1 engine. You will need to add a basic fuel system, a set of 60 lb injectors and a boost a pump will support your power goals.

See link below to product details,

http://www.airpowersystems.com/fbody/tt.htm

twin turbo parts list,

http://www.airpowersystems.com/guide...-tts01/bom.htm

Install instructions,

http://www.airpowersystems.com/guide...ts01_guide.htm

I Hope that helps you,

Peter
Old 02-20-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go procharger D1SC with a MAF tune and it will drive like stock at 8-10 psi, Im on the Bob at EPP band wagon because that guy hands down has the best customer service in any industry ive ever had to deal with, wether you buy something from him or you just want some advice hes your man. also he has the best prices on his products also, if not he will beat them.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:07 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lmt0705
go procharger D1SC with a MAF tune and it will drive like stock at 8-10 psi, Im on the Bob at EPP band wagon because that guy hands down has the best customer service in any industry ive ever had to deal with, wether you buy something from him or you just want some advice hes your man. also he has the best prices on his products also, if not he will beat them.
Thanks, I really appreciate it!

Here is the kit that I recommend.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=798
You send us your cars computer and we reprogram it for you. We try to gt it back out the same day we receive it. If you have any questions, give us a call at 260 244-4808. Bob
Old 02-21-2008, 05:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Thanks, I really appreciate it!

Here is the kit that I recommend.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=798
You send us your cars computer and we reprogram it for you. We try to gt it back out the same day we receive it. If you have any questions, give us a call at 260 244-4808. Bob
Yep I like the idea of a supercharger way better than a turbo. Because this is my daily driver I dont want any low hanging 'dust busters' and I sure dont want to give up the window washer tank... AC I almost never use.

As far as limited gains, thats what Im looking for. I dont want to pick something up that is made for moster numbers only to run little to nothing out of it.

Bob, looks like Ill be hitting you up to but the **** out of you!
Old 02-21-2008, 07:55 AM
11 Second Club

i don't know what was in Bob's link,didn't work for me but anyways people are saying to get the D1 kit, you could probably save alittle bit of money and get the P1sc kit with the programmer,since you said your not looking to make a **** load of power. I have a friend with a P1, I think it's around 6psi and he puts all but 430rwhp down. Not bad at all considering it has no other mods except for the SLP loudmouth cat back.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

take it from someone who started out in the same boat you are, (im looking for limited gains) its like crack man once you get a little taste of it your addicted, before you know it you will be building a better motor, upgrading your trans and diff. and begging for more boost. Id bet most of us out here started out just like you. I know I was, then 2 motors later, a few trannys and a 9in. later im looking for 9 seconds in my street car that I was looking for "limited gains" in. go with the D1, its well worth the few hundred extra bucks, theres so many people out here that wish they did because there stuck with a p1 and they want to upgrade now. give Bob a call, I promise you he will steer you in the right direction. Hey Bob, hope your feeling better!!!
Old 02-21-2008, 10:05 AM
TECH Junkie

No one makes a "bolt on and go", but that is just the nature of the beast. Be prepared to make adjustments as you go. EPP does provide excellent support, if you like whiney (read supercharged) engines. And read up on intercoolers, their effects on the appearance of your car, and the space under the hood that superchargers and front mount turbos must have.
And be prepared to replace the rear end, tranny if you are an A4, and possibly the clutch if you are an M6. And upgrade the suspension, of course, so you can put the power to the ground. It is not cheap, but it is fun to drive.
Best of luck.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
No one makes a "bolt on and go", but that is just the nature of the beast. Be prepared to make adjustments as you go. EPP does provide excellent support, if you like whiney (read supercharged) engines. And read up on intercoolers, their effects on the appearance of your car, and the space under the hood that superchargers and front mount turbos must have.
And be prepared to replace the rear end, tranny if you are an A4, and possibly the clutch if you are an M6. And upgrade the suspension, of course, so you can put the power to the ground. It is not cheap, but it is fun to drive.
Best of luck.
That's the problem with probably 90% or more of us. Our mods that we all decide to do are based on how much power we can make, then we find out later that we probably should've focused less on power and more on how to use what we already had by transfering it to the ground. But the horsepower bug takes over all of us.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

I'm not trying to do a SC vs TT thread or anything, but I thought I'd add my driving impressions from DDing a APS TT WS6 for the last few months.

First off, I have had almost NO problems with my kit. Anything that has gone wrong has been my own stupididty. I had a little boost leak due to not tightening down a fitting enough, and I didn't check my catch can for something like 2 1/2 months on a DD TT and it finally got full and started burning tons of oil. Now that everything is installed right, and I'm used to a little bit different maintenance schedule on the car, it's a very trouble free system.

The car drives like stock, except it makes a little more power at any throttle position. I'm always driving around using a bit less throttle than I used to. There is NO turbo lag. They really start to boost around 2000RPM, and peak boost is right around 3400RPM. Boost stays very steady after peak, and doesn't really fall off. It hits about 7.6# at the intake and stays there. If you wack the throttle open at 3000RPM, you better hang on, cause it's gonna go. First and second gear happen just as soon as you can shift it, then you get about a 3 sec break for 3rd, and then you finally get to think about when you're going to shift the car. Something else that I really like about it is that no one would guess that I've got that kind of power. You can hear turbo spool, sure, but a lot of people just don't pay attention to that. I get a lot of Mustangs and Evo's a stuff trying to play with me cause I'm in a T/A, and they never can believe it when I leave them behind so fast.

All in all, I'm very happy with my APS TT. It's on a stock 104K mile LS1 w/ patriot gold springs. Quality is top notch, and I'm glad I went this route. Being in the car is absolutely amazing.

Just sharing my thoughts. I'm sure almost any route would work. I've heard really good things about Prochargers, especially from Bob, and I've had a really good experience with my APS so far. As far as FI goes, these are the two routes I would consider for reliability and HP. Neither one is incredibly cheap, and honestly, the APS isn't as "bolt and go" as APS likes to describe it. There's a bit of cutting and rearranging that needs to get done, so once you do it, there's no going back, but why would you want to? I can't speak for the procharger about this, of course.

Oh, and with that "boost leak" I was telling you about, it made 460RWHP last weekend. I'm pretty sure I'll see a little over 500 next time I dyno it.

Hope that helps,

Dave

Edit: As far as ground clearance goes, I have no issues. My cousin's LTs have many more ground clearance issues than I do. I have never scraped any part of my exhaust, and it's not because I'm careful. It simply doesn't hang that low. Just clarifying.

Last edited by T A WS6 M6; 02-21-2008 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-28-2008, 10:37 AM
Banned

Default S/C kit

Go to www.lmspeed.com, F-body magna charger kit Late Model Speed Exclusive. The dyno is bone stock before, and bone stock w/ magna charger after @ 7 psi. The video is our R/D Camaro running at 5 psi.

Last edited by rick@latemodelspeed; 02-28-2008 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:03 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lmt0705
take it from someone who started out in the same boat you are, (im looking for limited gains) its like crack man once you get a little taste of it your addicted, before you know it you will be building a better motor, upgrading your trans and diff. and begging for more boost. Id bet most of us out here started out just like you. I know I was, then 2 motors later, a few trannys and a 9in. later im looking for 9 seconds in my street car that I was looking for "limited gains" in. go with the D1, its well worth the few hundred extra bucks, theres so many people out here that wish they did because there stuck with a p1 and they want to upgrade now. give Bob a call, I promise you he will steer you in the right direction. Hey Bob, hope your feeling better!!!

Thanks, I appreciate it! I am still not completely up to par, but I'm working on it. Bob
Old 03-02-2008, 11:26 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by cudaeh
I am looking for a good 'bolt and go' turbo or preferably supercharged kit. Some thing that was designed specifically to work with the stock setup.

I have no objections to throwing in a better oil pump, timing chain, push rods, and valve springs if need be. I just want something that I can install once, set up once, and drive it daily with no hassle. I’m not out to be the fastest thing on the road, I would be more than happy with 400-450hp. I just don’t want to have to rebuild the entire car or have to tweak the fuel maps every other day!....
Depending on what you want in the end, a APS or a ATI kit would be killer.

Both are setup for 8ish pounds to achieve the 500hp #.

The aps kit was built for longevity and includes stainless charge pipes and what not. Defiantly a steal for the $$$.

Either way, with the amount of hp you will gain, you probably will end up destroying the 10bolt rear end, and if its a stick, the clutch will need replaced. This should be expected when going FI.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

Man I just fell in love with that APS TT kit. I looked but couldnt find a price. Anyone know or got a link to an actual sale/order page or is it something you have to go through a vendor for?
Old 03-02-2008, 04:30 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by dementia
Man I just fell in love with that APS TT kit. I looked but couldnt find a price. Anyone know or got a link to an actual sale/order page or is it something you have to go through a vendor for?
Just pm me when you're good to go.

Peter

Quick Reply: who makes a good bolt on and go turbo/SC kit?