Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

1k Turbo build by 17 year old

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1k Turbo build by 17 year old

Have a 1998 formula with 25,000 miles i have made my own rear mount turbo setup for just under 1k all new parts .....greddy bov, xs power turbo tial wastgate, exhuast piping for intake pipe.walbro oil pump and random ****......the wastegate is a 7 psi spring the turbo is .50/.84 ....does this sound ok and what kind of numbers will i be looking at and all that is anything gonna blow .....I am only seventeen and i built this in my local auto tech class on highschool so no bashing just thelp i am learning
Old 03-03-2008, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

You might wanna start looking into a new turbo, it sounds kinda small, plus with those XS turbos it's either hit or miss. I've heard of some failing after 50 miles. You may want to list some more specs (injectors, fuel pump, etc.) And you know...
Old 03-03-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Besides that do you ever drive the car? Really low milage 98.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fuel system, performance clutch or rebuild your A4, driveshaft, rearend, cage if you're going fast enough (or if you're just safety conscious) It's a slippery slope making power man. It's def. a better hobby than some of the sh*t I was doing at 17. Good on you man.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:11 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome work for a DIY build by a 17yr old!!!!! Post up some pics and more details!
Old 03-04-2008, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey that's awesome. We'd all like to see it and hear how well it runs.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:45 AM
11 Second Club

I started to build my front mount turbo kit when I was 18...

get a new turbo...XS power's are ****. Don't go cheap on a turbo...it only takes once for the compressor or hot side to blow apart because of a shitty turbine wheel then you can kiss your motor goodbye....I Know a few people that had this happen with shitty brand ebay turbo's...get a real brand....My buddy had one on his DSM, and after 4 months, the hot side wheel was melted.

also, that turbo is too small....your gonna starve your motor....for a rear mount I would look for nothing smaller then a T61 (T4 Flanged) or a GT35r, GT40R, GT42R
Old 03-04-2008, 08:04 AM
10 Second Sleeper Club

Don't know much about blown applications. But I am always proud to hear of young people doing things that are admirable, like this project of yours. I congatulate on your achievement. Listen to the guys who know on here about these applications so that low milage engine won't get ruined. Good luck.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well a few things ,bigger injectors something like 42s should be alright. You listed fuel pump I think..something like racetronix intank or an inline should be ok.. You have to tune it...So would need some tuning like hptuners or equivalent..turbos need much richer air fuel than NA..naturally aspirated and you have to knock back timing quite a bit also.
Depending on power you get , as said you would need upgraded auto trans ,for sure stronger than stock clutch. Rear end possibly but mostly if you are racing it with really sticky tires and mostly for manual cars.Autos can survive a lot more with stock rear ends.

Think you know you need to run oil scavenger pump system for that rear mount,you listed oil pump so assume thats the scavenger pump. As said cheap turbos likely bite you in the butt. Generally good turbos from garett for example cost real money..800 bucks and up just for the turbo and ball bearing turbos more like 1200 and up.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh yeah stock engine with stock compression be reasonably safe with premium only fuel to 7psi or so. Intercooler is a good idea or alc/meth injection kit. And if you don't know hot to tune it you could take out those crappy stock pistons really really fast. Seen it done already by few guys I know. You could see 400 to 500 rwhp out of decent turbo on stock engine.Thats 600 at the motor. Buddies sts car rips pretty good at 5psi on stock engine,42 injectors, predator tuning, racetronix fuel pump. No intercooler and no alc injection one reason he keeps it at a mellow 5psi. He has the basic sts turbo think its a 60-1 or something like that..
Old 03-04-2008, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

Good to see you digging in to a project like that. If you learn modern engines and control systems, it can make an excellent hobby and/or career. Sounds like you're on your way already!

Jim
Old 03-04-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i wanna see pix!!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Nice work. dont get boost happy or cylinder 7 will laugh at you. It wont be funny. Save up for a better turbo cause XS power turbos dont last, especially in that size for your application
Old 03-05-2008, 01:20 AM
Launching!

lollll cylinder 7 laughed at me a few months ago.. RUN AN INTERCOOLER pleasee, i was only running 7 psi.. n melted thru that piston.. budget + FI = no go
Old 03-05-2008, 01:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My advice... if you don't have the money to replace your engine if you blew it right now, then don't procede any further. FI can be a VERY expensive endeavor espeically if you don't know what you are doing. My $4000 turbo project turned into a $20k+ project. Enough that I had to put off buying a house for over a year. I was already so deeply invested that I had to see it through rather than throw away what money I had already invested. Anyway, I'm still not done. I know a lot more now but I didn't know anything about FI then and it costed me big time. I would either go for a nice cam and exhaust upgrade or keep the boost low around 5-6psi for 375-425rwhp. DO NOT skimp on the tune; get someone good with experience or they can pop your **** in a hurry.
I'm not trying to bash, I'm honestly just looking out for you, but you sound like you are only 15% of the way there. You basically have a WAYY too small/crappy turbo, basic BOV and WG, and some random piping. You still need a bigger/higher quality turbo, intercooler, silicone connections, clamps, fuel injectors, in-tank fuel pump and hot-wire kit, valve springs, pushrods, timing chain, ported oil pump, oil feed line and return line, vacuum tubing, fuel gauge, boost gauge, wideband gauge, gauge pillar and a tune. I'd say you need AT LEAST another $3000 before your there. Trust me, it adds up fast. I guess you don't have to have the valvesprings, pushrods, ported oil pump, timing chain or gauges but I wouldn't go over 400rwhp without it. That still puts you around $2000 more.
Anyway, if you have the bank for it, then it's a hell of a good time and a great learning experience. Just keep in mind that more power makes it harder on everything else and its only a matter of time before stuff starts to break... and sometimes come undone when you do it yourself. I guess you have to learn sometime. And as for those extra things I mentioned, you WILL need them. Its only a matter of time, a couple months maybe, before you're bored with low boost and want to crank it up. Good luck!
Old 03-05-2008, 08:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

well ive got everything the turbo should be sone this friday i will post up the pics and everyhthing soon and yes i know about the cheap stuff but i start on with a drilling company in june so all the parts will be replaced with the good **** then becasue i will be making 3 grand every two weeks right now im makeing 200 lol so this is just for our local little races tat we have once a year and untill i get my new parts.....this should last untill june i would think from all the research ive done long as i get a tune soon at my local dyno tune place....
Old 03-05-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Make sure you get a tune before you put any boost into it, that will be jsut asking for a motor. I'd hate to see that happen especially to such a low mileage motor that would probably last for quite awhile with 7-8psi and a spot on tune.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Launching!

Post up some pix I would love to see them
Old 03-06-2008, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

17 yr. old kid making 80 grand a year out of HS. Does your daddy own it or something?
Old 03-06-2008, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

That is a real mature thing to say to a person. You must feel like the big man now with his expensive forced induction setup on your car. I am 23. I bust my *** every day just like any other normal citizen. I have a 01 formula with a vortech kit on it and a built transmission. It takes up all my money in between my car and all living expenses or other bills as well. Just because you might not have had the greatest job coming outm of highschool and not saying that you did not. Dont talk **** to somebody and think that your any better than the next person. I'm done with this. Just grow up.

Quick Reply: 1k Turbo build by 17 year old