Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Starting a DIY rear mount on my FRC! Well, about to anyway.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Starting a DIY rear mount on my FRC! Well, about to anyway.

I have decided that I am going to try and turbo my stock FRC.
I will post pics and prices of all the stuff I buy. I will be trying to do this as cheap as possible. I am yet to buy anything so if you have something I could use PM me and maybe we can work something out.

Also if you know of some threads where I can get some ideas please post them up. My TA isnt even close to finished but I just cant help myself. Plus I really need to take a break from it for a while.

I believe I will start out with no intercooler just to see how cheap this can be done. Soon after I will do intercoolers somehow.

This will be my already have list:
NOTHING
Going to look at a turbo today though.

This will be my wanted list:
Couplers
flanges.
Piping I will try to find local.
Wastegate
BOV
Oil lines
Scavenge pump
vacum hose
Most fittings will be home depot specials

I AM LEAVING ALL DRIVE TRAIN AND FUEL OUT FOR NOW! Yes I know that you have to have it. That stuff can come last. I just had to say that before I got 100 people telling me I am retarded or something.

Here is a pic of the car in question.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cheap set-up

Look for master power t-70, you can get one brand new for $585 shipped, PM me if you need a place to order.....or purchase slightly used for round $400.

Ebay wastegate and BOV

Shop around for v-band flanges for silicone couplers, you can get them for less than $3.00 each, and don't use worm drive hose clamps.....ask me how I know.

As far as bends, on the cold side, it's cheaper to order the silicone bends, metal bends are going to be 20+ dollars, and most of the time right after the bend is where you need the silicone coupler to connect, and it's tough to get one to slide onto bent metal 3" tubing and not leak on a bend.

I picked up straight silicone hose from masthead (local), purchased it by the foot, it was cheaper.

Make your own oil lines from brake/tranny tubing, it's cheap and you can shaped it anyway you want.

Ebay or autozone for cone air filter.

Use stock manifolds, wrap exhaust, and have a blast!

I used some flanges and silicone couplers from a turbo build before, and I just put one together for less than $2500, granted that I had all the metal tubbing for the hot and cold side already, to that's probably $200 right there.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldnt trust ebay wastegates or blow off valves on any car. Pipes and other crap yea but not hte major components. Only stuff that HAS to be good on the kit are the important things like turbo, wastegate, and engine obviously lol...blow off valve can be an ebay one that doesnt matter as much
nice frc, good luck with everything
Old 05-01-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dmoss69
Look for master power t-70, you can get one brand new for $585 shipped, PM me if you need a place to order.....or purchase slightly used for round $400.

Ebay wastegate and BOV

Shop around for v-band flanges for silicone couplers, you can get them for less than $3.00 each, and don't use worm drive hose clamps.....ask me how I know.

As far as bends, on the cold side, it's cheaper to order the silicone bends, metal bends are going to be 20+ dollars, and most of the time right after the bend is where you need the silicone coupler to connect, and it's tough to get one to slide onto bent metal 3" tubing and not leak on a bend.

I picked up straight silicone hose from masthead (local), purchased it by the foot, it was cheaper.

Make your own oil lines from brake/tranny tubing, it's cheap and you can shaped it anyway you want.

Ebay or autozone for cone air filter.

Use stock manifolds, wrap exhaust, and have a blast!

I used some flanges and silicone couplers from a turbo build before, and I just put one together for less than $2500, granted that I had all the metal tubbing for the hot and cold side already, to that's probably $200 right there.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head except I will probably still by a decent wastegate. I actually already have some stuff left over out in storage I will have to take a look at.

Quick Reply: Starting a DIY rear mount on my FRC! Well, about to anyway.