Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Sts turbo kit LT1 questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Sts turbo kit LT1 questions

I was thinking about putting an STS kit on my 96 formula. I have a few questions first however. How can I do some precautionary checks to make sure that my engine wont grenade when I put the turbo on? Also is there any possible way to retain my muffler? I have a Borla that I would really like to keep. And last but not least, my car has hooker long tubes and a mufflex y-pipe set up. Can I retain the long tubes and still get the STS? I don't have the manifolds anymore so that is not really an option. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

The biggest piece of advice I can give is when/if you do get it get a real tune! I blew my stock motor in less than a month after I bolted up my Procharger to my LT1. I was stupid then and didn't know much.
As far as the long tubes and muffler go. You won't need the muffler and I think long tubes actually hurt performance until you reach pretty big hp if i'm not mistaken. I have a friend getting an sts kit on his lt1 firehawk and he had to ditch his lt's and buy some stock manifolds and this is for a 383.
Good luck!
Old 05-21-2008, 09:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunatly you have to get rid of the nice exhaust. Long tubes and a big Y will wrk but spool slower, I like to call lag traction control LOL. I have an ls1 with long tubes and a 3 inch Y pipe with high flow cats with my sts kit and still wrks great. Just wrap the exhaust as much as possible and you should be fine. As for reliability getting a professional tune is critical, and also you will have to up the fuel system. I highly recomend a wideband so you can moniter it as well. With all that said it can last a long time.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Cool

bump^
Old 05-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could sell those longtubes or trade em to somebody on here for some shorty headers which are similar to the manifolds because of the small surface area. Wont be as loud as LT's but still sound better than stock manifolds. Wrap them all the way back to the turbo. You could put the muffler after the turbo but It will probably hinder performance...

Quick Reply: Sts turbo kit LT1 questions