Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Will these heads work???

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Will these heads work???

I've been looking into doing a single T76 setup on my car lately and I have decided to start buying some parts for the motor soon. So I was wondering if the heads I have are good enough for a turbo setup.

The heads are 5.3 heads that have been CNC ported and all that good stuff, but they've been milled .010. Since I'm going to replace my stock rods and pistons I figure I can make whatever compression I want with these heads. But will it be worth it as far as deck thickness and cc's go???

My goal right now is to have 600-650 RWHP without having to buy more than I need to. What do you think?
Old 08-05-2008, 08:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well you could get a thicker head gasket, but the quench characteristics of the heads since they are milled might be trouble. Sorry if that doesn't help much but I figured I would add my .02

Can anyone chime in here lets help this guy out.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey I appreciate it. Any help is great. It just keeps me learning!

I've just been doing a lot searching around on here to learn everything about turbos and the motors built for them. I just haven't run into threads about milled 5.3 heads and deck thickness or "water pushing (is that what it's called...)" not being a problem with a turbo.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:25 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you are going to replace the pistons, the milling on the heads is not a big deal. With the correctly sized pistons, you should be good to go. With -20cc dish pistons, that should put you about 9.2:1 static compression on a 346.

Keith

Quick Reply: Will these heads work???