Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Moving Turbo up front...thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 05:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Moving Turbo up front...thoughts?

Well guys I am moving my turbo from the rear to under the hood using some sort of manifold. The most common I seen being 6.0l truck manifolds but that would look like hammered *** under the hood. The reason I am switching from rear mount setup was the increased lag which caused decreased power. It was a very good setup and not being biased but probably the best rear mount setup on an f-body I've seen. But simple physics...the closer to the intake, the faster the boost will get there. Anyways, I was wondering what you guys think about it and are there any other options than using 6.0l manifolds for about the same price?
Old 08-21-2008, 06:27 PM
11 Second Club

Hey man I was also thinking the same thing, just need to find some hot side parts. I was trying to think of a way to use stock manifolds as well but keep my a/c.

Looks like we have the same prob/solution.

The sts is great but I am starting to reach the limits without trying to reinvent everything. I already have everything, but I love my A/C.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you using your GT67? if so your A/R on your turbine for the rear mount is probably too small. unless you used a regular gt67 and then that would explain all of your lag(too much A/R in a rearmount will not get the exhaust gasses up to the proper preasures to spin the wheel)
Old 08-21-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gonna have to get custom headers made i was gonna on my build but i didnt want to fork out 1500plus on headers when some 80 buck 6.0 headers do the job, but i lost AC oh well,price to pay to go fast.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Kentucky turbo i guess would work and has great prices. But from what I seen if you know how to weld and have a welder you can diy. But Im lazy I just buy ****.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my thought is leave it where it is. If lagg is your only concern, you can match up a better turbo for your set up to reduce lagg as much as possible. closes to the manafold the better, well all the big time turbo guys have there turbo way out front and running hella numbers, Look at major spray turbo out back and running 7's. perfect your setup. cam, stall, gear and turbo housing cause when you foot stall your system the whole hot side is pressurized being close to the engine or as for out back where your turbo is now. just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: Moving Turbo up front...thoughts?