Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

A couple questions....

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A couple questions....

Here in the near future I am planning on doing a front mount turbo or centrifigul(sp?) supercharger build on my car. My goal is around 500hp and low 11's. My initial plan is to take an LS1 block and put all forged internals in it with dished pistons to lower the compression ratio. For intake and throttle body I was thinking of getting a FAST combo. As far as heads and cam go, I don't really know what I want to do there. This brings me to my questions:

1) How much power can an LS1 block hold?
2) What do yall recommend for heads and cam?
3) Does this sound like reasonable expectations out of a build like this?

I am also planning on getting a Moser 9" to replace the stock rear.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read young man, read. 500hp is nothing for these engine to hold. We have had a stock ci LS block go low 8's (Harlan).

Heads/cam - as deep as your pockets will go. AFR's, All Pro, ETP, etc, etc, etc.

Best that you read through some of the posts and than you'll understand a little more.

David
Old 09-02-2008, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Do some searhes, lots of good info on here already, no need to beat a dead horse.
1. Dont worry about the block, can EASILY handle 500hp
2. depends on budget...just buy the best you can afford
3. very reasonable expectations. should be able to make that power without even trying.

p.s. use the stock crank, no need to spen 1000 on a forge one sense it will be fine up to 1000+hp. Just get forged rods and dished pistons and lower your compression to 8.5-9.0
Old 09-04-2008, 12:18 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, well I looked around a little bit last night. I'm trying to do this relatively cheap. I read about a fair amount of people using 317 casting heads and exhaust manifolds from 6.0L's. I thought a little more about the cam choice and I'm curious about pairing the 317 heads with TSP's 228R cam with 114 or 115 LSA. Can anybody give me their opinion about using these heads and cam together? Has anyone else used a similar combo? There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer about cams. Everybody seems to have their own opinion about using a reverse-split cam, no-split, etc. I understand that, so before anyone says "go do a search", I have. I just couldn't find much about people using these heads and cam together. Also I am considering using a 76mm with .96 AR.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all of the above will work just fine, the heads, the turbo, the cam will all be fine.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

... and I wouldn't spend your hard-earned $$ on the FAST intake/TB; the LS6 intake and a ported stock TB will be just fine. Use the money to upgrade your fuel delivery...

As for the cam, I kept a 224/224/114 0.588 cam from my NA setup just to see how it would perform with the turbo setup... and I've used it for almost three years now. Is it perfect? Nah. But I think there's a variety of choices that will work just fine.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

Ok cool. That's actually something I've been thinking about. Like you said that money can just be spent on more important things.

Quick Reply: A couple questions....