Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

fuel pressure loss at acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pressure loss at acceleration

I have seen figures that show that you should expect about 5-7 psi loss at the engine under acceleration when your engine is regulated from the rear of the car. That takes into effect the loss from CF of the line used, and the pump having to offset somewhere in the neighborhood of 1g of forward acceleration . I planned on using stainless lines to offset some of those losses, but with more investigation, have learned that if I put the regulator (Aeromotive 13101) on the firewall, I can negate all those acceleration caused losses.
I guess my question would be in a 3500 Lb Chevelle, with about 500 RWHP, F-body T56 and 3.90 gears.... Will a Walbro GSS340 (in tank), at 65psi (at the pump) and regulated on the firewall at 58psi, have enough ***** to feed the motor under acceleration while using braided rubber hoses with smooth transition AN fittings and no crazy bends?
??????????
Tom Ringlein
Old 12-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot to mention - I will be using an 8AN feed line and a 6AN return line.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think so...I use a Fuelab regulator up front on my Camaro, and the stock pump is enough to feed the engine at WOT (about 350-360-ish RWHP) with only a 2 psi loss in pressure (I run it at 58 psi at the rails). That is with most of the lines being the 3/8" stock, hard feed line with a 5/16" return.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinkys
I have seen figures that show that you should expect about 5-7 psi loss at the engine under acceleration when your engine is regulated from the rear of the car. That takes into effect the loss from CF of the line used, and the pump having to offset somewhere in the neighborhood of 1g of forward acceleration . I planned on using stainless lines to offset some of those losses, but with more investigation, have learned that if I put the regulator (Aeromotive 13101) on the firewall, I can negate all those acceleration caused losses.
I guess my question would be in a 3500 Lb Chevelle, with about 500 RWHP, F-body T56 and 3.90 gears.... Will a Walbro GSS340 (in tank), at 65psi (at the pump) and regulated on the firewall at 58psi, have enough ***** to feed the motor under acceleration while using braided rubber hoses with smooth transition AN fittings and no crazy bends?
??????????
Tom Ringlein
The only problem I see with that setup is that you wil probably have to let the Walbro prime before starting the car. They are notorious for not holding pressure when keyed off. Also, if you up the power any more, the pump may not keep up.