Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

High pitched whine/whistle

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 11:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High pitched whine/whistle

I have a bad whining noise coming from my car. it never does it the very 1st time i start the car for that day, but after i have driven it somewhere and let it sit even for like 5 or 10 mins..75% of the time it'll make the noise. it sounds like it's coming from my exhaust pipes and more so on the passenger side. it will go away after i start driving the car but it usually won't go away if i just have the car sitting idle. A local shop told me possibly fuel pump...but why am i hearing it out of my exhaust pipes and louder on the side that's not where the fuel pump is? what could it be?
Old 05-18-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

u no i have the same thing going on with my car but it happens when i drive the car. itll whistle for a few seconds and then shut off. i still cant figure out wtf it is
Old 05-19-2009, 07:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Tank vent not working??
Old 05-19-2009, 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have a whining whistle too out of my loudmouth exhaust but only when im at certain RPMs... its just the way the sound is vibrating tho on my car... open up your gas tank and put your ear up to it... best way to figure out if it is the fuel pump
Old 05-21-2009, 11:56 AM
Launching!

It's gotta be yor AIR pump that warms up your cats for the first few minutes of starting the car. It's normal, but a little annoying. I said hell with and disabled the AIR pump and took all that AIR piping out, and no more whistling sound.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:06 PM
Teching In

thats weird mine just started doing it too, i gutted my cats about 4 months ago and it just started yesterday but mine only does it at startup then i hear something kick on/off under the hood(same sound as the ac compressor but its not the compressor cause i dont have the belt on) but its louder out of the pass side exhaust tip also