Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Need some help guys!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help guys!!!!

Im going to try this post one more time with a more detailed description of my problem. About a week ago or so my car started acting funny. When I say funny I mean it would randomly sputter and shutter very hard randomly in the lower RPMS. Sometimes it would do it through all the gears and sometimes not at all. Also, one thing I noticed is that it will do it and you will be driving and it will go from abnormal to completely fine in the split of a second. I know I probably shouldnt do it but sometimes when I leave a stop light and it is shuttering I will go WOT and the car will load up and go just fine. To me it seems like a fuel issue but it doesnt seem to do it when the car is just idling right after start up so I cant check the fuel pressure. Tommorrow I am going to start by changing the fuel filter. Does anyone have and other suggestions. They will be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

i just fixed a similar problem with my lq4. It would idle fine with 60 pounds of pressure. When i would tak off it would do fine until it warmed up and then it would run like crap, sometimes it would run ok then sometimes not worth a darn. I changed filters and still the same problem. I changed the fuel pump and that was the problem.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:27 AM
Launching!

Not what I wanted to hear. I am gonna change out the fuel filter first and go from there. I hate not knowing what the hell is going on.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really need to check the fuel pressure b/f throwing money at it.
If you don't have one and don't want to install one, buy one that mounts directly to the fuel rail with a hose and tape it to your windshield. Not a pretty solution, but it is quicker than mounting one in the car. I have a Lingenfelter that works well, but I am sure there are more out there.
"Usually" it is the fuel pump heating up and losing pressure, but the gauge will tell for sure.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Launching!

Alright I am going to check the fuel pressure this afternoon, then I am probably going to change the fuel filter and the pump. Can anyone direct me to a guide on how to change the fuel pump.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

I am not sure on the cars how to change the pump. I would guess it would entail pulling the tank down and pulling the fuel pump assembly that has the float and eveyrthing and just replacing the pump. This is how many of the vehicles i have changed were, unless they were much older or custom out of tank pumps. Some cars have a spot in the trunk that is under the carpet that you can unscrew to get to the pump. One of these way has to be it.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Launching!

Ok I am extremely confused right now, i drove the car a good bit today and tonight and it not do it at all. It has done this everytime I drive the car for the past week and then it stopped, this does not make the least bit of sense.