Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

My gas needle is lying to me!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My gas needle is lying to me!!!!!!!!!!

My gas needle is off....horribly, I had a diag. check and it related to my service engine light. It just moves on it own, no matter what the fuel level, Do i need a new fuel pump?
Old 07-25-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the pump isn't bad, just the floater sensor. or maybe even the gauge itself
Old 07-26-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, how do I go about taking care of the floater sensor (location, ease of install)? And if its the gauge, then what?
Old 07-26-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my gauge drop to empty intermittently and it turned out to be the sweeper tabs on the sending unit had worn off. I had access to another pump assem. with a bad pump so I was able to change out just the sweeper tab the the float attaches to.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

the pump is probably just fine, however if it is a bent float could provide you with false readings but if its the stock pump and hasnt ever been replaced its hard to believe thats the case. Did it just recently begin to do this? The float attaches to the side of the bucket with a pin on a sweep sensor if you remove the entire bucket/pump assembly it can be easily seen. in order to access the pump you will need to either drop your axle to pull the tank down or cut a trap door, there are many write ups out there on where to cut, make sure you look up the right one depending on your year vehicle(whether you have a metal tank or plastic tank) more than likely the sensor is your problem. hope this helps
Old 08-12-2009, 08:43 AM

hmmmmmmm
Old 08-12-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SS Ryan
the pump is probably just fine, however if it is a bent float could provide you with false readings but if its the stock pump and hasnt ever been replaced its hard to believe thats the case. Did it just recently begin to do this? The float attaches to the side of the bucket with a pin on a sweep sensor if you remove the entire bucket/pump assembly it can be easily seen. in order to access the pump you will need to either drop your axle to pull the tank down or cut a trap door, there are many write ups out there on where to cut, make sure you look up the right one depending on your year vehicle(whether you have a metal tank or plastic tank) more than likely the sensor is your problem. hope this helps
Its been happening for a while, and after a diagnostic i was told that its the reason for my service engine light.

once i get the hole cut and the pump out, what am i looking for?