Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Why are my fuel pumps going bad all the time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Why are my fuel pumps going bad all the time?

Trying to figure this one out. I have been having a major issue with fuel pumps in this car. It all started about 2 years ago when the pump died as I pulled in the driveway. I installed a racetronix unit without the harness and found that the fuel pump that was in there was not the factory one, and that the fuel unit frame/spine had been hacked to make it fit. Anyway, I installed the racetronix the best that I could, and it ran fine for about a year. Then it started acting up again. simply would not start. No fuel pressure at prime, crank but no start. I buy a new aftermarket(oe replacement) pump housing/assembly and install it only to find that the regulator had blown off of the sending unit. I guess the plastic tabs got weak and failed and the pressure pushed it off the metal hose end. Anyway, I get everything together, and it ran fine with like 55 psi fuel pressure. After about 3 months, it started acting up again. Hard to start, and when you prime it the pressure goes up to about 35 psi, then immediately drops to 0 indicating a bad check valve in the pump. I replaced the pump(warranty exchange) with the same unit and installed it. Had 62 psi fuel pressure and engine ran great, until last week. How its hard to start again, prime pressure is 25-30 then drops to 0 indicating a bad check valve but I just can't see it that every single pump is going bad. There has to be something else that is causing it. I can't see a restriction in the fuel supply line as there would be little or no pressure at the rail. If the regulator was bad or blown off like it did the last time the engine would not even run at all. I am really at my wits end, and thinking about going to an all external fuel setup cause I am getting really tired of pulling this tank out repeatedly. You guys have any thoughts? I'd love to hear 'em!
Old 08-18-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

uh... i noticed in there that you said you DID NOT use the new wiring harness...

i would recommend either buying one, or making one yourself. I had a bad ground/electrical issue fry a friends dyno pack box on his dyno...EVEN though there are fuses there.

I would completely redo your wiring.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

Yep, I was talking with Lonnie today about that and I am thinking that I am gonna have to end up getting the whole racetronix kit that comes with the harness and install it. I am either having really bad luck or those aftermarket discount/advance auto parts pumps are garbage. Looks like I will be pulling the pump out...again...
Old 08-19-2009, 08:08 AM
Banned

Buy a gm pump...even a used gm pump is better than the parts store garbage. NAPA has a good pump too but only warranties it for one year and its in the 400 dollar range.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah that sounds very similar to the one that I bought from Advance auto. It cost me about $430 and came with a 1 year warranty. It seemed like a decent unit. I was thinking about the fact that maybe something else is causing this to happen all the time. The only thing that I can remember is the lasst time that I pulled the tank down, the nylon fuel supply line (from the top of the tank to the filter) got kinked a little bit. I wonder if that kink is causing a restriction in the fuel line and causing the pump to deadhead pressure? I would think that under pressure the nylon would expand or open up to allow fuel to flow through but I have been wrong before and will be again before I die. And for some reason I am having a really hard time finding replacement nylon fuel tube/line.