Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

What do people do for "sumping" a plastic tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Default What do people do for "sumping" a plastic tank

I know with the metal tanks you're supposed to weld to make sure it seals, so what is done with a plastic tank?

I did a search and saw something about a bulkhead. What is that? Anyone have any pictures?
Old 12-08-2009, 10:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actual sumps are not feasable since to plastic welding is not exactly safe in this application.

Bulkheads are shouldered fittings that goes through the tank & a nut clamps it inside to form a seal (with a gasket). These typically work, but require careful placement to ensure fuel is always picked up. Also improper install can cause leaks.

My opinion is there is little need to run an external when there are single & dual intank setups available (that do not require tank modifications) to support well over 1000rwhp.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
Actual sumps are not feasable since to plastic welding is not exactly safe in this application.

Bulkheads are shouldered fittings that goes through the tank & a nut clamps it inside to form a seal (with a gasket). These typically work, but require careful placement to ensure fuel is always picked up. Also improper install can cause leaks.

My opinion is there is little need to run an external when there are single & dual intank setups available (that do not require tank modifications) to support well over 1000rwhp.
Ok thanks.

I'm going to be doing an external either way. I know my setup won't be anywhere near 1000hp (low boost 383 unported trickflow heads), but I like the idea of a single pump rather than dual intanks or boosting a single intank.

I can get either an LS1 tank or an LT1 tank brand new for quite cheap, and was going to have a fabricator modify one or the other so I have no downtime when pulling my tank. I was just wondering if it would be worthwhile to look at a plastic tank if the whole thing has to come out anyway.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:27 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lonnie does fuel systems for a living. I would listen to what he has to say honestly. Being stubborn and being right are 2 diff things sometimes. You could run an in tank with an inline (ext) as backup....
Old 12-10-2009, 11:29 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lonnie is correct for a street car under 1000 the dual setup is hands down the way to go but if you must have a sumped tank...To properly Sump a tank you need the steel one sump welded without leaks cleaned and coated to prevent rust. I have custom Aluminum Race tanks with sumps already properly positioned and free from leaks or corrosion. They fit in the stock locations fill from the stock neck and use the factory gauge just designed and built for external fuel systems. $675

Quick Reply: What do people do for "sumping" a plastic tank