Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Octane Boost questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Octane Boost questions

Most of us are pretty religious when it comes to putting the premium gasoline in the tank. But what is the backup plan in case you're out in the middle of nowhere and they dont have a premium pump? I carry a bottle of octane boost in the trunk but I'm rather skeptical about how much of it you'd need on a full tank to raise the octane from say 87 to 91. Is there a formula? I believe I've read that you need 10 points of octane boost to equal 1 true octane number.

I accidentally put 87 octane in once and realized it right after I did so I added a single bottle of that Octane 104 stuff. The engine detonated and ended up ruining the block on what I presume was the same tank of gas (can't be completely sure) sometime later. It's really hard to know if the detonation was caused by the gas or something completely different but I do want to be sure to get the octane levels correct, should there ever be a "next time" when a lower octane fuel goes in. Anyone have experience or knowledge in this department?
Old 03-03-2010, 12:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That 104 stuff will up your ocatne one point if your are lucky. Search "torco" and you will find some info on the only decent REAL octane booster. Best thing you can do is not pump 87 into your car :loony:
Old 03-03-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not tryn to sell!

Give this gentlman a call! http://www.bndautomotive.com/page/page/929427.htm
Old 03-04-2010, 07:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Thumbs up Yep..

Originally Posted by ninetres
That 104 stuff will up your ocatne one point if your are lucky. Search "torco" and you will find some info on the only decent REAL octane booster. Best thing you can do is not pump 87 into your car :loony:
And, you may find some $hitty brown/orange gunk on the plugs.