Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel Pressure Regulator Before Rail?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel Pressure Regulator Before Rail?

I bought a Fuelab 51501 regulator. Because of aesthetics and simplicity, I am trying to put the fuel pressure regulator before the fuel rail. Basically fuel will enter the regulator, exit into a Y-fitting, then go to each fuel rail. Deadheading at the fuel rail. Return line off the regulator. Additionally, the stock fuel rail crossover will still be used. The regulator would be less than a foot away from the rails.

I know the setup is not the BEST, but it's suppose to work from my understanding. Aeromotive says it can be done in their FAQ. However, I asked Fuelab directly and they told me it would not work with the regulator before the rail. Who is right?
Old 03-16-2011, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why before the rail?? Put it after the rail it's a much better system. If your taking the time to run a return at the motor and your doing an regulator at the rails, there is absolutely no reason to have the regulator before the rails.

Before the rails when you need fuel it will starve your motor. After the rails you will be hard pressed to starve the motor.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking of doing it that way because of looks mostly. The fittings on the rail would be hidden in the rear. This is on an LT1 you have to get creative with welding AN fittings on the front of the rails. I have seen it mentioned briefly on here that a regulator before the rails will work.. but not sure on high hp applications.

I mainly just don't like the amount of pluming required for a parallel setup; no matter how pretty AN fittings and braided lines can be. I'm willing to do a series setup because that would only require a larger fuel rail crossover. Meaning fuel enters the rail 1 by 1 then goes to the regulator. That's actually how stock is setup.
For what it's worth, my stock fuel lines supported 640hp. I plan on making 700+hp this time so that's why I'm changing everything to -8AN feed -6AN return

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure Regulator Before Rail?