Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Car ran out of gas, won't start, fuel questions, please help ;)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car ran out of gas, won't start, fuel questions, please help ;)

Background info:
I park my 99 TA over the Michigan winters, starting it at least once a week. At the end of the winter the car died while I was driving it to the gas station, the car would not start after, still does not. Prior to this, last year the car did the same thing when running low on fuel. It died while I was driving it and just slowly put put putted out then died. I was low on gas but not empty on gas this time (1 gallon at least, i know this is still horrible for these pumps); The car did start after a while of priming/cranking it over, but it ran very poorly and the pedal was unresponsive quite a bit. The car basically drove but didn't want to accelerate every time i hit the gas. Sometimes I would hit the gas while driving and the car would do nothing. It died a few times / sounded like it was constantly going to die on the way to my house. I changed the fuel filter at my house, and after a few tries it cranked up but was still running not 100%. After I went to the gas station and filled the tank it drove fine. The fuel filter was clean and unrestricted when I looked and blew into it. Also, the fuel pump used to whine on long trips. When I turn the key on i can hear the pump prime but it is alot quieter than normal. The car cranks over; you can hear the click, and once in a while it will try to start very very briefly maybe for a half second and then it will go back to the clicking.

Now if you could help me with these questions.
1. Would all these signs point to the fuel pump being toast?

2. Im thinking of going with Racetronix, is their kit a direct plug and replace kit? Does the racetronix kit mount in the oem fuel pumps spot?

3. Is the racetronix upgraded wiring harness needed with this pump? How hard is that to install?

4. Does anyone have a link to a writeup of the racetronix pump installation on a plastic tank?

Thanks alot, I appreciate the help greatly.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I have a racetronix pump and hot wire kit on my car.

It mounts in the OE spot.
It's not a necessity but is recommended. The install of the plug and play kit is pretty much just that.
If I still have the instructions I will scan them tomorrow at the shop.

The install is pretty easy to do. I don't have a lot of experience with them as I have only installed two.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

GM stock pumps usually let go at 100k miles
Old 05-31-2011, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like the pump. or your gauge is faulty

Quick Reply: Car ran out of gas, won't start, fuel questions, please help ;)