Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

E85 to 93 issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default E85 to 93 issue

I've been on E85 for 3 yrs. Recently I took a trip on the Hot Rod Power Tour and had to use 93 octane. I was on CL SD and thought putting 93 the computer would adjust and I would be fine. Well as soon as I filled up with 93 the car would go lean under load. I had my labtop and put it in OL, adjusted the VE so I could continue on my trip. Ran 93 the rest of the trip; on a good note I got 33mpg! Car has been sitting since 2nd week of June. Wondering what could be the hiccup with CL SD on 93 octane?
Old 08-02-2011, 11:32 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Switching to 93 from an E85 tune, you should have been running on the rich side, not lean...since the characteristics of E85 require more fuel / air to reach stoich.

Since you are running in closed-loop, the O2 sensors should read the lambda the same, independent of what fuel you are using. Are you using an E85 AFR value for reference in the fuel tables?
Old 08-02-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by deatschwerks
Switching to 93 from an E85 tune, you should have been running on the rich side, not lean...since the characteristics of E85 require more fuel / air to reach stoich.

Since you are running in closed-loop, the O2 sensors should read the lambda the same, independent of what fuel you are using. Are you using an E85 AFR value for reference in the fuel tables?
Yep, agreed should go rich if using OL which it has in the past when i was on OL SD and couldnt get to a station with Ethanol.
I'm using stoich 14.6 as reference. I'm going to rule out the fuel and try a different brand as i have had mishaps in the past on other cars using Shell gasoline.