Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Height difference swapping LS9 injectors for Shorty Siemens 60's on TVS kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Height difference swapping LS9 injectors for Shorty Siemens 60's on TVS kit

I'm trying to swap out the LS9 injectors that came fitted with my LS2 TVS2300 S/C kit.
I was led to believe the Siemens 60's were a direct replacement (they were fitted as standard to the early TVS kits).
However, despite the overall height of the injector being the same, the height of the lip around the base of the injector is different meaning the 60's don't fit into the manifold as far, in turn leading to the injector sitting higher.

I've not seen any adapters for going between these injectors. Are they supposed to fit the same? Or are some custom rail spacers going to be needed?

Pic of the two injectors below (LS9 on the left, 60 in blue)

Old 08-21-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks like the o-rings are in the same location, just the stock LS9 injector has a longer nozzle. I don't see why it wouldn't work well just dropping the siemens ones in. As long as the O-ring is fully compressed into the hole bored in the manifold, it won't leak. The "lip" looks like it's a good 1/8" above the o-ring
Old 08-22-2011, 06:10 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
It looks like the o-rings are in the same location, just the stock LS9 injector has a longer nozzle. I don't see why it wouldn't work well just dropping the siemens ones in. As long as the O-ring is fully compressed into the hole bored in the manifold, it won't leak. The "lip" looks like it's a good 1/8" above the o-ring
Besides the o ring being 1mm bigger the injector will sit 3/16 higher due to the taper on the shank where it's sits in the champher on the manifold. This results in the injector sitting higher. The rail has to come up 3/16, I'm not sure if you can raise the rail that much on that kit. You can get the 52 ls9 injector to flow 60@3 bar so it matches the siemens. That might be the better plan, there might be another possibility as to machine the siemens bottom and raise the taper the 3/16. I'm going to try that today as this has come up a lot.

Last edited by FICINJECTORS; 08-22-2011 at 06:17 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:42 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by FICINJECTORS
Besides the o ring being 1mm bigger the injector will sit 3/16 higher due to the taper on the shank where it's sits in the champher on the manifold. This results in the injector sitting higher. The rail has to come up 3/16, I'm not sure if you can raise the rail that much on that kit. You can get the 52 ls9 injector to flow 60@3 bar so it matches the siemens. That might be the better plan, there might be another possibility as to machine the siemens bottom and raise the taper the 3/16. I'm going to try that today as this has come up a lot.
i just did the mod to make a shorty siemens fit in a ls2 mag kit. here what it looks like. [IMG]//https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=312192&stc=1&d=1314020 406[/IMG]
I machined the plastic off and made a o ring grove which provides the new seat. the bottom ls2 o ring has a bigger ID so I used a small sleeve to make up the difference. i just tried them in the manifold and it works fine.
Attached Thumbnails Height difference swapping LS9 injectors for Shorty Siemens 60's on TVS kit-modfor2300.jpg  
Old 08-22-2011, 02:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FICINJECTORS
If I'm reading that right, the injector body (the blue part you lathed off in the subsequent post) is what is stopping the injector from sitting as low as the LS3/7/9 injector?

Does that interference cause the o-ring to not seal as tightly?

We have a LS3/LS7/LS9 injector that flows 65#. ...and our LS2 injectors is a different core than the Siemens pictures. Guess the questions above are just for my curiosity and clarification of what I read.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:10 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by deatschwerks
If I'm reading that right, the injector body (the blue part you lathed off in the subsequent post) is what is stopping the injector from sitting as low as the LS3/7/9 injector?

Does that interference cause the o-ring to not seal as tightly?

We have a LS3/LS7/LS9 injector that flows 65#. ...and our LS2 injectors is a different core than the Siemens pictures. Guess the questions above are just for my curiosity and clarification of what I read.
Dw if you look at post 3 I suggested using a ls3 injector as that is what the kit was designed for. We sell them in all sizes to 105lbs and have been doing so longer than anyone else. But, it looks like he already bought the siemens, the fix is a simple one and I stated above that I installed it in the manifold because I have one in our shop. I would not say it fits if it dosn't. The right move for him is to send to us the ls3 injectors to Make a flow matched set of 60's and sell or send back the siemens
Old 08-23-2011, 01:56 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the research.
I have managed to fit the 60's though. It's a little tight with the vacuum actuator but the rails fit with a small spacer. Despite the overall height increase, a 1.5mm washer was enough to keep the rail level.
I also found an example of an earlier Tvs kit and this is how magnusson had fitted the 60's, albeit with around a 5mm spacer.
Ultimate option would be to retain an LS3 style injector though if possible. Also would mean not having to use the loom adapters in my case.

Quick Reply: Height difference swapping LS9 injectors for Shorty Siemens 60's on TVS kit