Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel pump issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump issue?

I have a 98 z28. When I go to start it I need to turn the key twice to let the fuel pump - pump twice, and then try cranking it over and it starts right up. If I dont turn the key twice to let it pump twice and just try cranking it over right away, it takes a few seconds but will still turn over.

It's been doing this since I bought the car, which has been a few months now. It was also doing it for the previous owner for a while and he said that 98's were known for this. Is this true?

It has no problems staying running or anything. I am just more curious on what the deal with it is...
Old 09-30-2011, 12:27 AM
TECH Resident

Replace the pump if you want that condition gone. There is a check valve built into the pump that fails and does not maintain a fuel pressure over a matter of minutes or over night.

A replacement ACdelco with sending units usually cost around $500. They also put an updated connector in with them. They give you butt connectors but soldering is the way to go.

The cheaper route would just be buying the pump alone and installing it with a new sock and in tank fuel line.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You should buy your pump from rockauto.com just bought one for $258 which included the wiring harness made in the USA and works like a champ just went on a 4000 mile trip after replacement of the pump.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NBM-LS1
Replace the pump if you want that condition gone. There is a check valve built into the pump that fails and does not maintain a fuel pressure over a matter of minutes or over night.

A replacement ACdelco with sending units usually cost around $500. They also put an updated connector in with them. They give you butt connectors but soldering is the way to go.

The cheaper route would just be buying the pump alone and installing it with a new sock and in tank fuel line.
Thanks for the information. I think I can live with the condition, doesn't really bother me.

Originally Posted by slt200mph
You should buy your pump from rockauto.com just bought one for $258 which included the wiring harness made in the USA and works like a champ just went on a 4000 mile trip after replacement of the pump.
Thanks, I'll have to check that out down the road when I need a new fuel pump. Hopefully that isn't soon!

Quick Reply: Fuel pump issue?