Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

fuel pressure rapidly fluxuating

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pressure rapidly fluxuating

Hey got a 1998 transam t56 and lately it has been giving me a few problems.

I am relatively certain this is a fuel system issue. Sometimes it will fire up, run for about 30 seconds and then sometimes die and sometimes be fine. I'll get random "farts" where the engine will stumble in normal driving (this is rare, once every 2-3 weeks). Other times I can't get it to start at all. I"ll pop the hood and swap the fuel pressure relay with the a/c and sometimes that will work, sometimes it won't. I put my fuel pressure guage on it today, 1st time I primed I got 0 pressure and it wouldn't start (could have sworn i heard the fuel pump kick on though...). I reprimed and got 50. When it started the FPgauge needle would rapidly fluxuate between about 55-68, so fast that the need is just a blur. When I rev the engine from idle the FP steadies out. Any ideas? Fuel pump? some sort of pressure regulator? Something in the relay board? when this first started about a 6 months ago I just replaced the relay and it was fine until about 6 weeks ago. This isn't a daily driver and I was busy so i've put it off, but need to sort it out. This car has a mild TR cam and ls6 intake, otherwise stock. any help is appreciated!
Old 10-09-2011, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

bump.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

No one has any ideas? I'm thinking it's probably the fuel pump but before I cut a hole in my trunk I'd appreciate a second opinion LOL.