Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Rcetronix Hotwire Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rcetronix Hotwire Install Questions

Ok guys next weekend I'll be swapping a racetronix pump along with the hotwire harness. I dont feel like pulling off my catback and such so I'll be using the trap door method I've already done it once on my old firebird so its not a big deal but my concern is the hotwire harness I didnt use one last time and since I got it for free this time I figured why not.

SO my question is how are people routing the harness over the tank when using the trap door. I've heard of people using coat hangers or unpinning the clips, I was just wondering what way works best fro those who have done it.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 01MAROONz2890
I'll be using the trap door method

http://www.aftermarketsuppliers.org/...f0jxnvabCRpK3L

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 10-09-2011, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^thanks? I'm not trying to be rude but all that video showed was how to clean the tank and diagnose issues. The fuel pump still works its just getting old and I'd like to be safe. Since you didnt leave any text with the link I'm assuming you posted it to sway me to remove the tank so it can be cleaned or not get contaminated.

I've already used this method once along with many other people and it has worked great. Bottom line is I dont have the time or the place to drop the tank and even if I did I' not sure I'd want to.

My question is still up there how have people routed their hotwire kits up and over the gas tank when they used the trap door method?
Dan
Old 10-10-2011, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I disconnected the wiring at the relay then ran that wiring from the top (trap door) to the bottom with a coat hanger (looped through the ground wire). I went along the left side of the fuel lines since that looked like the only space I could get down since there's a vent tube in the middle. Then I pulled the wire down some and re-connected it to the relay.

If you have a 98 you might be different since the tank is setup different.

A lot of people on here say you need to clean your tank and that since the tank is black plastic you can't see any debris. I kind of disagree. I could see very clearly the bottom of the tank and it was a light beige color. There was practically no debris. Looked like there was probably 10 grains of salt at the bottom spread out over a couple spots. Maybe it's an optical illusion. Either way wasn't worth me dropping the rear axle/exhaust to get the tank out. Plus I had just filled up before I had some free time and wasn't about to find a place to store 12 gallons of fuel.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 777
I disconnected the wiring at the relay then ran that wiring from the top (trap door) to the bottom with a coat hanger (looped through the ground wire). I went along the left side of the fuel lines since that looked like the only space I could get down since there's a vent tube in the middle. Then I pulled the wire down some and re-connected it to the relay.

If you have a 98 you might be different since the tank is setup different.

A lot of people on here say you need to clean your tank and that since the tank is black plastic you can't see any debris. I kind of disagree. I could see very clearly the bottom of the tank and it was a light beige color. There was practically no debris. Looked like there was probably 10 grains of salt at the bottom spread out over a couple spots. Maybe it's an optical illusion. Either way wasn't worth me dropping the rear axle/exhaust to get the tank out. Plus I had just filled up before I had some free time and wasn't about to find a place to store 12 gallons of fuel.
Please understand that most customers do not have the proper tools and/or experience to disassemble our harnesses without the risk of compromising the seals and terminals.

We have discussed the merits of cleaning fuel tanks numerous times on this forum. Please understand that it is IMPOSSIBLE to gauge the level of contamination in a fuel tank by looking through its opening. This is like trying to gauge how strong a cup of tea is inside a deep black mug. There are many types of contamination that are not visible to the human eye that will kill a fuel pump. Cutting into the metal above the tank also poses a fire hazard b/c the tank seals on these cars are 10+ years old allowing vapor pockets to form above the tank. Customers have accidentally cut into fuel lines and wires sitting above the tank.

Customers should fully understand the risk vs. benefit ratio associated with the trap-door installation method.

Many of the F99 fuel module parts are starting to fail due to age. If a jet pump becomes plugged or a check valve fails to open/close, it will starve the fuel pump and cause it to fail. It is important to fully inspect the module and if possible test its functionality before installing a new pump. If in doubt, consider a new module.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<