Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Help me build my turbo fuel system.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me build my turbo fuel system.

Bit of background info.

Car is an 85 mustang. Engine is a 5.3 with LS6 intake and will be running a single 76mm turbo.

I have a sumped tank, A1000 pump and braided 1/2" line (can't remember what AN size that equals).

What I need help choosing is the fuel rails/regulator/injectors (thinking 60lbers)etc.

Can I run a vette style fuel rail with the vette filter?

Shooting for 550rwhp at first and then making small changes and going for 650rwhp. I will likely be running methanol

Thanks
Old 12-02-2011, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

any suggestions
Old 12-03-2011, 10:12 AM
9 Second Club

Ok so I don't run methanol but from what I read you need almost twice the injector than what you'd run on gas. So I'd say that you'll probably want to run 80lb injectors instead. You can buy the Siemens 80lbers new for about $400.00 non flow matched or $300.00 used. I've calculated that you need about 71lb injectors for 750 crank HP. This is with a BSFC of .6 which is what I feel you'll probably see out of that motor. So given that I chose the next size up logically which is 80lb. Over the years I've bought 42lb, 60lb, 68lb, 80lb and now 160lb high impedance injectors. Buy as big as you can cuz as you get bored with the existing power you'll always need more.

You'll need a fuel pressure regulator. It needs to be boost referenced. Plenty of choices out there but make sure it supports methanol and that it can go up to the fuel pressure you'll be going up to. Meaning that if you start out with a base fuel pressure of 58 that it can support that pressure plus boost. So for me I was running 68 base with a max boost of 25PSI. Add that together and you get 93PSI that the regulator has to support.

Now you need a return line also. Typically the return line can be a good bit smaller than the supply so keep that in mind. Not sure about the fuel rails since I've always run the aftermarket rails and I don't know how much the stock ones can flow. But I can tell you that my aftermarket ones work great. You can get a budget kit or rails alone for under $140.00 dollars.
http://www.speedinc.com/catagory.cfm?catagory=Fuel / Cooling

Fuel pump: The only suggestion I have for you there is that I use dual fuel pumps with a hobbs switch. This way when I'm driving the car on the street during those hot summer days I don't boil the fuel. When I get into the boost then the 2nd pump runs. If this is a track only car then no worries. Also since you're running methanol then it might not even matter. I've not had exposure to running anything other than pump gas and 110 racing gas.

Good luck with your build.

Quick Reply: Help me build my turbo fuel system.