Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

'97 Trans Am Fuel Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 06:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '97 Trans Am Fuel Issue

Hey everyone, I don't post much but I did a brief search and tried to collect as much information as I could before I wrote this.

To start out, I have a 97 Trans Am that has been sitting for about a year and a half only being cranked once a week up until about 6 months ago until it ran out of gas and no one filled it back up. Fast forward to today I replaced the alternator and battery(alt was known to be bad... they were jump starting it before) and went to start the car and it'll crank but not run.

I know cars really only need three things to run... air, spark, and fuel. I know the car is getting air because there are no obstructions to the intake. Next I checked spark by removing a wire from a plug, placing a screw driver in the wire, and having my girlfriend try to turn the car over while I held it near the fender well to see if I would get an arc. I did, and I shocked myself because I wasn't paying attention... so it is definitely getting spark. Then I went to fuel. I checked all the fuses and nothing was blown, I'm not really sure how to check relays. I removed the fuel filter assuming there was blockage, put a new filter on and tried to start it again. That was a no go. So I took the filter back off and had my girl try to crank the car again to see if any fuel would shoot out of the open line.... I don't even know if that would work but I thought I'd try. There was no fuel coming out of the line.

I tried to find other things to try on my phone, but there was nothing I find.

So to run down again:

Fuses are all good
Car has spark
Car has air
I cannot hear the pump prime when the key is turned on
Car was low on fuel when it was cranked weekly until it ran out of gas

So guys, is this a new pump(I believe it is) or is there a common electrical gremlin? I've seen things about jumping wires to turn the pump on, but I don't understand the instructions. If anyone could clear that out for me that would be great if I need to attempt that

Thanks everyone in advance!
Old 12-24-2011, 02:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is there gas in the tank?
Old 12-24-2011, 08:40 AM
Teching In

I guess I left that part out. I put 2 gallons in the tank