Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

why so many differend LBS injectors

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default why so many differend LBS injectors

can someone explain to me a little about injectors. for example my stock injectors are 28lbs (i believe). i know some guys upgrade to 36lbs or even 42lbs injectors. why? how does this improve performance? is a heavier lbs injector always better?
Old 01-25-2012, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends how much power your car makes. Many heads/cam cars will need bigger injectors. The stock injectors can only flow so much before they become a bottle neck.

For bolt on cars, stock injectors are usually fine. When you start getting into the motor, upgraded injectors are sometimes needed. Your tuner will know best and be able to tell you what the duty cycle of your current injectors are doing.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bramlok
It depends how much power your car makes. Many heads/cam cars will need bigger injectors. The stock injectors can only flow so much before they become a bottle neck.

For bolt on cars, stock injectors are usually fine. When you start getting into the motor, upgraded injectors are sometimes needed. Your tuner will know best and be able to tell you what the duty cycle of your current injectors are doing.
im my tuner and mine are at 96% duty cycle
Old 01-25-2012, 05:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
im my tuner and mine are at 96% duty cycle
You need bigger injectors, typically 80% DC is as far as you want them to go.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The smaller the injector the longer it can stay opened giving a better air fuel mix to the cylinder. They are only open or closed so the lbs rating tells you how much fuel it will flow at a certain fuel pressure....your duty cycle goes from 0-100% 0% is always closed, 100% is always opened. Once your injectors start reading over 80-85% they tend to lose control, then once they hit 100% they can not flow any more fuel which will cause you to go lean and burn pistons, rings, and all that good stuff.

You want to try and match your injector size to your engine setup so at wide open throttle around max rpm your injectors are reading around 60-80% duty cycle for the best performance.

Too small an injector you will max them out and go lean, too big an injector and all the fuel for each intake stroke will be dumped in all at one time so your air fuel mixture will not be optimized.

Also for any injector change you need to have your computer immediately tuned so you don't wash the cinders down with fuel on or just after start up
Hope I helped!
Old 01-25-2012, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mark21742
The smaller the injector the longer it can stay opened giving a better air fuel mix to the cylinder. They are only open or closed so the lbs rating tells you how much fuel it will flow at a certain fuel pressure....your duty cycle goes from 0-100% 0% is always closed, 100% is always opened. Once your injectors start reading over 80-85% they tend to lose control, then once they hit 100% they can not flow any more fuel which will cause you to go lean and burn pistons, rings, and all that good stuff.

You want to try and match your injector size to your engine setup so at wide open throttle around max rpm your injectors are reading around 60-80% duty cycle for the best performance.

Too small an injector you will max them out and go lean, too big an injector and all the fuel for each intake stroke will be dumped in all at one time so your air fuel mixture will not be optimized.

Also for any injector change you need to have your computer immediately tuned so you don't wash the cinders down with fuel on or just after start up
Hope I helped!
Yes sir you did. thank you