Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Cutting and flaring fuel/brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Cutting and flaring fuel/brake lines

I'm ever-so-slowly getting around to my true dual project and my biggest hangup seems to be the brake/fuel lines which run under the passenger seat well on the left side. Have any of you cut these metal lines before?

If you have, what type of flare tool did you use, and did you run into any problems?

What I'd love to do is run some type of braided steel hose and just flex them out of the way. If I can figure this out then I'll get the BFH out and make some room for my mufflers.

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2012, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sky/wallet is the limit. You can get a quality Double flaring tool (45*) Line and ends and make your own . You can have a hydraulic shop make you some lines if you tell them what to make. You can convert the fittings to -an and make/run lines that way . I have not done it to the same car as yours ..but its basically the same..... Move it where you want , away from heat and possibility of pinching. Bleed the system correctly and your good to go. And get some practice tube to experiment with till you get a feel for good flares, if you got that route. Fuel is a different story . I like using -an fittings with aluminum tubing .
You can buy compression fittings for the tubing or you can get a 37* flaring tool and use -an adapters/nuts. Hope i helped....GL!

Last edited by Emdmechanic; 07-05-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the help. I'm checking out summit now. Are the cheap tubing flare kits at harbor freight any good?
Old 07-06-2012, 03:23 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check out this place for AN fittings. http://www.anfittingsdirect.com/inde...282646ca345d15

If you wanna run hard lines id go with nut and sleeve. Always run steel sleeves on aluminum tubing. The tubing to go with would be 6061-T3 or T6 or 5052-0. Id go with a .028 WT or .035. Or if you wanted to go with steel. Choose 321 annelled, or 302 annelled. You can easely bend 1/2 OD or less tube on a hand tube bender without distorting the tube and do a 37 degree flare.

If you have a local metal supply store you can go and pick up tubing. Yeah those harbor freight flares tools arent bad. Just remember if you get some slippage in the clamp of the tube bender wrap it with a small piece of sand paper. And when you put the tube in the flaring vise leave about a 1/8 of material above the vice block. and use some general purpose oil when flaring, it will prevent the flare from cracking.

Ive done alot of tubing in my day. So if you run into any problems just let me know.

Quick Reply: Cutting and flaring fuel/brake lines