Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

p0200 code help

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Post a picture of the wire end...if the boot came off, I'd junk it and get a new set.

You're looking for significant variation between the 8 plug wires, set your meter for 2K Ohm range and probe away. But like I said, if the boot separated from the wire it's time for new ones anyway.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No wire and metal boot come out together the metel plug end had a spring attached at the very end
Old 07-23-2012, 06:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by irishws6
No wire and metal boot come out together the metel plug end had a spring attached at the very end
Got ya, the spring is part of the assembly and removes w/ the wire & boot.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:29 AM
Staging Lane

Crainholio thank you so much for your help and patience, gona tackle it again this evening when i get home, hope its nothing major, i barely drive my baby!
Old 07-23-2012, 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

and now the fun begains

pulled all plug wires, they i believe must be the stock ones- delphi packard??
now to numbers
1-337 ohms
2-335ohms
3-333ohms
4-329ohms
5- checked and removed ohm ranging from 320 down to below the 290 mark, hard to get a fixed reading
6-333ohms
7-348-350ohms this one was suspicious too. checked a couple of times
8-335ohms

so what you guys thing about these numbers???could 5 be acting out????
where could i pick up a single plug wire like this??
also when reincerting the wires on pliug end i found it almost impossible to hear a click, i did hear the two clicks on the coil end, just pushed them into plugs end as hard as i could.

also i removed the air tubes from the passenger side, do i need a replacement gasket or would rvt do the trick??
Old 07-23-2012, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

and now the fun begains

pulled all plug wires, they i believe must be the stock ones- delphi packard??
now to numbers
1-337 ohms
2-335ohms
3-333ohms
4-329ohms
5- checked and removed ohm ranging from 320 down to below the 290 mark, hard to get a fixed reading
6-333ohms
7-348-350ohms this one was suspicious too. checked a couple of times
8-335ohms

so what you guys thing about these numbers???could 5 be acting out????
where could i pick up a single plug wire like this??
also when reincerting the wires on pliug end i found it almost impossible to hear a click, i did hear the two clicks on the coil end, just pushed them into plugs end as hard as i could.

also i removed the air tubes from the passenger side, do i need a replacement gasket or would rvt do the trick??
Those are high numbers for good wires. Good MSD superconductor wires have a real low number per foot. I can't remember right off the bat but i think they may even be negative ohms per foot. Look it up it might not be that low but its real low. But that won't give a code like that. Could be a cracked porcilin around a plug. However from what I have heard you say I think it might be a bad connector in the plug wire end. I would replace the whole lot with good wires. Not the trash from the major automotive parts places.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

havent owned the car that long only driven it about 1500 miles, car ran real low on gas one day and this problem started for me afterwards, dosent throw any misfire on any cylinder, just the p0200 injection malfunction.can feel the car hesitating when it happens.

if i waas to replace wires are they any direct fit, which dont require any cutting or modding?? stock,oem etc?? like i said this car is gona be for me to enjoy when im older and no longer live in nyc, its garaged 24/7 in my own garage, speeed and performance dont bother me, i just love these babies for what they are
Old 07-23-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

The only over-the-counter parts store wires I've run were from NAPA. Just slipped the stainless steel boot covers and springs from the old wires to the new ones, dab of dielectric grease inside the plug end and coil end, and they clicked right into place.

If I have my preference, I get a set of GM red LS6 wires from an online wholesaler.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

ok ill look into new wires, and what about plugs??? hearing and reading lots of different things in regards plugs, ac delco, ngk etc..

so you really think my plug wires are at fault, the above numbers were .333, .335 .329 etc...
thanks for all the help
Old 07-23-2012, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

ok ill look into new wires, and what about plugs??? hearing and reading lots of different things in regards plugs, ac delco, ngk etc..

so you really think my plug wires are at fault, the above numbers were .333, .335 .329 etc...
thanks for all the help
Based on the lack of an audible click on the plug end, I'd say the wires are in need of replacement.

I've never seen a case where spark plugs caused a P0200 code.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

im at a loss too, ive checked all wires on coils and back to pcm, nothing nipped or cut, injectors all check out too, only other issue is the cracked pcv grommet which read on here before causing this problem.

got all my wires on passanger side to snap into place just hard to get them to click on drivers.
would the naba leads be ok for a car thats rearly driven.

i know i keep repeating this but could the low gas have fouled one of my injectors???
Old 07-23-2012, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

just looking at a web site, MSD Super Conductor Spark Plug Wires, 98-2002 LS1, for just over 60 bucks. good plugs??? also the ngk tr55s for plugs??
any imput
Old 07-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

just purchased the msds and new tr55 plugs from a vendor on this site, may as well put them in seens as im in the mind set to do it now, hopefully the new wires will solve my problem.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:24 AM
Staging Lane

irishws6, you mentioned the injectors all checked out, did you probe out the driver circuits to make sure there's not a problem there? That link I posted early on has that procedure detailed. I respect the experience on the forum that this code can be created by an ignition problem, but it's meant to alert you to a voltage problem on the injector circuit.

Here's some additional info http://www.ls2.com/boggs/dtcs/DTC%20P0200.htm
Old 07-24-2012, 03:43 PM
Staging Lane

Rjparth, i wouldnt have a clue how to even follow those guidelines, electronics is sadly not my thing, could barely operate the multi- meter to check the plug wires. What in simple terms would i have to do to check the drivers?? Would i have to wait until the problem exsists to get a true diagnosis- it dosent appear to do it cold, only when cars fully warmed up and im giving it some, like pulling off from a light or stop sign.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

just purchased the msds and new tr55 plugs from a vendor on this site, may as well put them in seens as im in the mind set to do it now, hopefully the new wires will solve my problem.
Good (but not great) move, be sure you check the gap on the plugs and adjust as needed to get them right prior to installation. Decent gap gauge is a cheap but good investment.

And remember to apply a dab of dielectric grease to the plug and coil boots prior to installation. Let us know how it goes.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:03 AM
Launching!

Did the new plugs and wires resolve the codes?

Quick Reply: p0200 code help