Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

LS1 Camaro fuel issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Camaro fuel issues

Ok guys, here's the problem that I've been getting here lately. Not sure if anybody has seen this before or not, but it's got me puzzled a bit here.

I've got a 99 Camaro LS1 and after about a hour of highway driving, from work to home, the car at times will sputter a bit and sometimes will completely die out. It's definitely more prevalent when the temps are higher outside. Seems as if it's flooding itself and won't fire back up after it dies. Only way it seems to restart is by turning the key back one click so that there are no lights on the dash and waiting anywhere between 15-30 seconds. Previous owner of the car said he installed a new fuel pump from gmpp, but who knows if it was really done or not. Trap door method was not used and can't drop the tank right now as it's my daily driver.

Has anybody else seen this happen? I'm guessing maybe the venturi isn't correct, or fuel bucket might have holes in it? Or if there is a thermal protection switch in the fuel pump, it could possibly be tripping and not resetting until after I turn back the key and wait a few.

Any guesses or input on this one guys?

Last edited by BigMac76; 09-26-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Almost 100 views and no replies yet.

Anybody want to take a venture and toss something out here? Does it seem like I am barking up the wrong tree here? Should I be looking at something else like maf, iac, emissions components?
Old 09-28-2012, 06:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a good chance the pump sock is slightly clogged causing the pump to cavitate when the fuel gets hot.

It is hard to diagnose as many other things can cause a similar problem.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, just trying to get a starting point so that I can start and try diagnosing it and eliminating possible components. Thought first off could have been fuel delivery related. Going to get a fp gauge on it so that I can see what the fp does when it starts with the symptoms.

Quick Reply: LS1 Camaro fuel issues