Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

SSR LS2 injectors

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 06:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SSR LS2 injectors

I have a 2005 SSR LS2 in an off-road only vehicle. I have been unfortunate enough to have 2 different injectors stick open in the past couple of months yet fortunate enough to realize it the instant it happened and shut it down without causing any damage. This vehicle sees very little mileage. In that time I have run about 30 gallons of fuel through the system. The fuel tank and all lines are custom-built by myself. I cleaned the tank and lines before installing and running but so I doubt there is a bunch of crud in there, but I guess anything is possible. I run 70 micron filters in the tank and 40 in the pressure line.

For those who don't know, for some reason Chevy saw fit to put smaller 29# injectors in this LS2 engine than all the others even though their power levels are about the same.

It is difficult for me to just go out and log data since it is illegal for me to put this thing on the road but I have logged data in the past for other issues and still have those files. In them I get the engine as high as 4600 rpm and the injectors are at 77% duty cycle at that point with 2000 rpm still to go before redline. And this is just sitting in park, no load.

The engine is all stock except the intake and exhaust. I realize that I am out of the odds of probability for this to happen twice in such a short period so I am trying to find the cause of this before it screws something up badly. It has been mentioned that I could be overworking the injectors and killing them. But isn't their default sprung position closed and the solenoid that would burn out in that case opening them? So if they were being overworked wouldn't they stick shut, not open?

Appreciate any help ...
Old 02-03-2013, 07:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Not necessarily...If they have dirt in them, are pulsed 1 time, and that dirt gets into the lower end, they might well hang open.
Unless you are running at very high duty cycles, such as commanding 100%+, it's doubtful they are over heated.
What is the fuel pressure at high load? [What was it when free revving?]
You can look for dirt by pulling the injs, taking your plug reading lite, and checking for crap in the filter baskets. Have they ever been flow checked and cleaned?
You can also reduce the dirt level by going to a 10 micron after the pump.
Your data logs should should be capable of showing commanded duty cycle. It is???
What's the voltage at the pump?
Old 02-03-2013, 11:06 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fuel pressure never drops below 60psi under any circumstance.

I have HPTuners but was not logging commanded duty cycle at the time.

Have not had a reason to test voltage at the pump since I don't have fuel pressure issues. The engine had 23,000 miles on it when installed and, as stated, has had very few since then. I did not feel that having the injectors pro-cleaned was necessary.

I have had two fuel supply issues that are now resolved. At one point my suction hose collapsed and starved the pump allowing the engine to loose pressure and shut down a few times before I realized what was happening. I replaced that hose with hard line, replaced the pump, and that was resolved. Then I found that one of the return lines ran a little close to the exhaust and was vaporizing the fuel inside. I moved the line and wrapped the exhaust and that hasn't happened since either. Those two occasions were the only times I've had fuel pressure issues.

Quick Reply: SSR LS2 injectors