Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Regulating LS3 Corvette Pump for Carb

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 09:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regulating LS3 Corvette Pump for Carb

Hey guys...pardon the newb questions but I'm still learning here. I have a 72 C10 pickup that I am eventually going to drop a GMPP LS3 in. I am approaching this swap in stages, as this truck is my daily driver and I want to keep the down time as minimal as possible. Once the time comes for the actual engine transplant, I would like to be down for no more than a week or two max, therefore I am handling the fuel system ahead of time.

Here's my question. I'm running a 750 cfm carb on a 350 SBC at this time. I want to go ahead and buy a Rick's custom fuel tank with an LS3 factory in tank pump already mounted, and plumb that into a factory corvette filter/regulator. From there, temporarily, I want to run fuel line to support my carb for the time being. What's the best way to do the fuel system coming from the Vette regulator to work with my carb? It is my understanding that both the carb as well as the LS3 fuel systems are returnless, correct? Dropping down from the 60psi to carb pressure will be a big drop I know. Can it be done and how? Thanks.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Or even better, how about ditching the idea of the corvette filter/regulator altogether and suggest a filter/regulator with a return that would run my carb for now, but also be an optimum way to regulate/filter the LS3 FI in the future? Cost would be no object, so throw your ideas out there for regulators!
Old 03-30-2013, 02:34 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can just run a regular aftermarket carb low pressure regulator at the carb and t it into the same return line that is coming out of the vette filter/regulator. When you do the ls3 just remove the t and the carb regulator and you will be good to go
Old 03-30-2013, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the idea Grr....makes sense to me. Perhaps I was mistaken by thinking that a low pressure regulator at the carb would have a hard time dropping that kind of pressure down to only 5 or 6 psi. So this will put no type of stress on the EFI pump or the regulator (and nothing should blow out? )?
Old 03-30-2013, 03:28 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No it won't affect it at all, just put a gauge on it I dint see the return line being a restriction, the filter/reg will just never open and you will be pumping and returning the same amou t of fuel just at lower pressure

Quick Reply: Regulating LS3 Corvette Pump for Carb