Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

A little help please??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A little help please??

Ok, so I have a racetronics fuel pump...HCI car nothing crazy. It would start and die, start and die...same thing over and over.

Security light is not lighting up so I dont think its VATS. I also went and got a fuel pressure gauge. Hooked it to the fuel rail, not even getting 10psi. So...I go and turn the key on and verify that 12v is getting to the hotwire relay. It is...on one end. But not on the other. I then verified that the relay is good....it is. Put it back in, still nothing getting to the other side of the hotwire relay part of the harness. No power getting to the red wire at the fuel pump hat either.

This leads me to believe maybe there is a short in the red power wire or the relay harness itself...what are your thoughts?

Is the relay 100% needed, can i bypass it and tie it straight in to test it? Or should I just cut it out from where the wiring is testing good and re splice a new relay section from there to the pump housing?

I can hear the electronic whine of the pump when the key is turned and verified it by having my wife turn the key on, I hear and feel the pump prime when the key is turned. So I am a bit stumped. Maybe my multimeter skills are failing me lol. Really this kinda does not make sense since the pump is getting a 12v signal by priming...but it does not show on the other end of the relay power source.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any options to try out.

Dave
Old 04-07-2013, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If the pump is running then you have 12v out of the relay, unless its wired wrong. Go over the wires very carefully and varify that the correct wires are in the correct location.

If you remove the relay or wire straight across it the fuel pump will run with the key off.

I have not installed a hot wire kit (yet) but I am familure with wiring relays.

Good Luck
Old 04-07-2013, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good info thanks. I am really Leaning towards the pump being bad even though it's priming for 4-5 seconds then shutting off like normal.

Keep the ideas coming
Old 04-08-2013, 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ttt....
Old 01-21-2015, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know this is old as hell...but I hate when I see threads that are not updated. SO it turned out the Previous owner had broken the FPR out of the basket with pliers since the car was boosted at one point and never repaired it. So I replaced the complete basket and it was perfect.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for updating it.

Quick Reply: A little help please??