Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel pump return line?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 06:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump return line?

Mechanic was changing the fuel filter and noticed a tee'd in line before the filter, which appears to return back to the tank. There is a brass compression coupling, like what you'd use on a water line connection, on the tee'd in line. This caught his attention and is not factory. I have a GM parts listing book and, blow apart pics show a return line coming from up front. We both looked around briefly by the fuel rail and saw no signs of a capped/missing line. The pics for the up front connections are not clear as to the specific line orientation, as the fuel rail hoses are on a separate page. I have a bog between 1800-3000 rpm while accelerating, and we are thinking low fuel pressure as a result of this tee'd line connection. Wondering why someone would do this? I haven't tried WOT as I didn't want to beat on it if it wasn't running right. The car is '99 SS Camaro LS1 engine. We haven't checked fuel pressure yet, trans is still out of the car, for a clutch replacement. Can anyone shed light on the situation?
Old 06-16-2013, 09:30 AM
Teching In

...to the top...
Old 06-16-2013, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pretty sure that's how it was done from the factory. the FPR is in the tank on the sending unit. the return line doesn't have to come from the rails. it's there to regulate pressure.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it looks like this, then its normal. The return is just in front of the filter. The regulator is in the tank.
Attached Thumbnails Fuel pump return line?-012-20old-20return-20line.jpg  
Old 06-16-2013, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the pic, worth a thousand words... I'll have to look closer, but that does look similar. Can't remember if it tee'd in before or after the filter. Would that matter? The presence of the hardware store compression coupling made us think something otherwise. Guess we were looking at the wrong pic in the manual. That and the car are still with the mechanic, he's currently out of town. I'll have a chance to look at it this weekend. Bog, must be from something else, still will check the fuel pressure to know it's ok.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump return line?