Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

testing 2 yr old walbro 255's??

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default testing 2 yr old walbro 255's??

hey guys im in the middle of a turbo build and my last stop is the fuel system, I installed dual walbros 2 yrs ago prior to this build and they have been sitting in my tank since 2011...

I decided to flush the old gas out of the tank and just inspect since its been sitting awhile.. well both fuel pump filter socks deteriorated a little and are starting to fall apart..

before I buy new filter socks how do I go about checking to see if the pumps are still good... I don't have a battery or my engine harness in the car at the moment...

can I just hook up power to it and sit it in some gas? is it that easy?

also how much power, Im not looking to blow it up while trying to hook it to my dads truck battery...
Old 09-25-2013, 06:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Putting a pump in gas & trying to run it outside of a sealed tank can get you a trip to the burn unit at the local hospital.

You can remove the pump & momentarily connect it to a battery to see if it runs...
but the only way to see if it flows properly requires a regulator to run it under pressure to see if it pumps correctly.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

They were both fried.. The return hose in the tank fell apart in my hands, fuel float was chipped up as well.. Lotsa problems lol

I'm picking up another 98 sending unit and will start a fresh build..

Quick Reply: testing 2 yr old walbro 255's??