Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Replaced pump, no pressure at the rails?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Replaced pump, no pressure at the rails?

Ok so the long story, My 2000 WS6 died on me last week, I figured the fuel pump had finally given up the ghost since the fuel level signal had been off since I bought the car. I replaced the fuel pump today with an OEM replacement pump and replaced the filter while I was at it. The tank is pretty much full.

I can hear the pump for priming when I flip the key over, I have fuel at the inlet and outlet of the fuel filter, but I'm getting no fuel at the rail and it doesn't seem to building any air pressure either behind the schrader valve.

I have ran the pump for priming key on / key off likely 100 or more times with no joy at getting fuel to the rails.

I pulled the gas cap, and removed the valve from the schrader valve and tried running the pump that way as well to eliminate air pressure in the line.

Does anyone have any ideas where to look for why I'm not getting fuel to the rails?

Have I just not primed the system enough? I imagine it should only take 3-4 times running the pump to get fuel to the rails.

TLDR:

0 fuel at fuel rails
Fuel at both sides of the filter
Fuel pump replaced
Fuel filter replaced
Pump relay and fuse also replaced
Pump defiantly running.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Got it figured out. I read the wiring diagram for the new pump connection wrong. I should have trusted my gut instead of following what I though the diagram was saying.

Feel pretty dumb but I'm back running, so I'm happy.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Might want to state exactly what you found, might help someone in the future
Old 05-12-2015, 09:59 AM
Teching In

The new pump came with a new 4pin power connector, the pictures were taken from the front / pin side of the connector so I connected it that way. It should had been from the rear / wire side of the connector.

The wire colors were matched and I even made the comment to my buddy that it was odd to use the same colors in a different pattern.

Thankfully I looked at my Haynes manual and double checked the actual leads.
The following users liked this post:
jsouthern (07-02-2019)

Quick Reply: Replaced pump, no pressure at the rails?