Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

98 Camaro Losing Fuel pressure when turned off

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default 98 Camaro Losing Fuel pressure when turned off

Good Day Tech members!

I recently bought a 98 Camaro SS with a couple of mods done to it.

When it comes to the fuel system it does have a Racetronic fuel pump with hotwire kit, aftermarket fuel rails with a gauge and 42# Green Tops.

When I bought the car I was told it had an issue but they were not sure if was a fuel issue or valve floating. From what I've noticed usually when I turn off my car with about a quarter tank the pressure decreases at a decent pace.

When I turn off the car and it has more than half a tank, the pressure decreases at a slower pace than with less gas.

Either way its losing pressure and I know 98 Fbody fuel system is different from 99-02.

I tried doing some research on the FPR ( Fuel Pressure Regulator ) and I want to say this is the issue. If this is the issue is there a good replacement for it due to them going out so often? ive also seen some say use a corvette fuel filter setup but im not too clear on what to do.

Any suggestions, opinons or .02 cents would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First thing that comes to mind is the plastic tube that runs between the fuel pump and the bulkhead on the tank. It's quite common for it to slip off the nipple or crack. What you could try to do to diagnose that is when you have less than half a tank of gas, have someone cycle the key on while you place your ear on the rear deck. Listen for a splashing noise.

Quick Reply: 98 Camaro Losing Fuel pressure when turned off