Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Injector Questions????

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 01:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injector Questions????

Ok so I've been thinking about this for awhile now and have not figured it out. So if anyone has the correct answer please share the info. Say you have an engine that you are building for boost and obviously you give it low compression to compensate for the amount of boost you will be running. Lets just say the engine is an ls1 5.7 liter engine so you've got everything you need for a happy turbo engine. What is the purpose of higher lbs injectors wouldn't you just have to get an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator and a higher pressure pump. So what I'm not understanding is what is the purpose of higher lbs injector if you can just turn up the fuel pressure and let the computer do the rest. Please anyone with good info chime in because its really racking my brain.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but this is how I see it.

The fuel injector "lbs" are actually different sizes. Theoretically if a small garden hose and a large garden hose has the same amount of pressure, the large hose will flow more for a given amount of time. So a 30# fuel injector technically can flow the same amount that a 180# injector can, but the pressure required to do that would be incredible, more than an aftermarket pump could put out. Instead of engineering a fuel pump that could that could produce 600lbs of pressure, and maintain that pressure with no pressure drop, you could just use a "large garden hose" with less pressure.

Last edited by Jc803; 11-15-2015 at 12:10 AM.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran the numbers for a better example.
30# injectors at 58psi will flow 287 lb/hr
160# injectors at 58psi will flow 1486 lb/hr
30# injectors at 150psi would only be 448 lb/hr.

Like I said there isnt a pump that could produce that pressure. Or O rings that wouldnt blow off the injector.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok thanks the next question i have is what about the rail pressure with bigger injectors wouldn't it go down or would it stay the same? Would i have to get an aftermarket regulator that maintains a certain amount of pressure no matter what? So basically the objective is to hit 900 to a thousand horse power with about 800 ft/lbs torque on nothing but motor possibly a turbo setup not sure. So what # injectors am i looking at on and ls platform? Thanks in advance>

Quick Reply: Injector Questions????