Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel Pump or Fuel Pressure Regulator? (p0171,p0174)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump or Fuel Pressure Regulator? (p0171,p0174)

hope this is the correct forum for this post but here it goes.

truck is a 90 k5 with a 5.3 out of an 04 silverado (STOCK), ep381 fuel pump

Recently I had a p0171 and p0174. I first began a search for a vacuum leaks, could not find one. so I did a lot of reading last night and decided to borrow a fuel pressure tester from the auto parts store tonight and test my fuel pressure.

at idle 40 psi. I disconnected the vacuum line from the regulator and I still had 40 psi. when I shut the truck off pressure dropped off immediately. had my wife come out and help me with another test, I took the fuel cap off and and had her turn the ignition of so the pump would prime. I could hear fuel splashing in the tank.

my theory is either the rubber hose that connects the fuel pump to the delivery line is split or partially disconnected inside the tank or the fuel pressure regulator on the rail is stuck open (letting fuel by)

I plan to do another test tomorrow night. I'm going to isolate the fuel send line and check pressure there.

Am I moving in the right direction? are the symptoms described not pointing to regulator?
Old 11-24-2015, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think those codes are same I had on a 01 Yukon 5.3. I found that intake gaskes had the rubber seal had split but had to take intake off to find it. This case of yours fuel pump pressure not rite. I did everything I could think of to fix it. I like you thought of pump as mine didn't run. When torn apart it had the strainer fallen off sucked in crap. Did plug wires/plugs/ fuel filter & changed injectors with another used set. Intake gasket was last thing I did night & day difference, no more codes ran great.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:14 PM
Teching In

interesting, i will keep that in mind if the codes persist after i fix the fuel pressure issue.

a helpful bit of information would be knowing whether or not the FPR should allow fuel by during prime. I read on another post i should see 60+ psi and holding during priming
Old 11-25-2015, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe it takes 58lbs fuel pressure for normal driving. You don't have gas coming out of vacuum port of regulator do you? If so regulator is shot. Diaphram is bad in it then. Check vacuum line for vacuum when running---see if bad hose?
Old 11-26-2015, 05:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SS90K5
hope this is the correct forum for this post but here it goes.

my theory is either the rubber hose that connects the fuel pump to the delivery line is split or partially disconnected inside the tank or the fuel pressure regulator on the rail is stuck open (letting fuel by)
Am I moving in the right direction? are the symptoms described not pointing to regulator?
If the fuel pump hose is split. These are the correct OEM in tank nylon tube.
http://www.racetronix.biz/items.asp?...atus=0&Tp=&Bc=
Old 01-18-2016, 08:34 PM
Teching In

Second on gaskets ... I have 03 Silverado with 5.3 L. Just went threw this, had same codes. Checked fuel pressure , had 45 psi. Thought it was low, put walboro 255 in it. Have 58 psi now, codes still popping up. Did intake manifold gaskets and truck is fixed. 90000 on motor.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder what it was?

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump or Fuel Pressure Regulator? (p0171,p0174)