Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Please help me, trying to drive car to TX2K (wonky fuel pressure)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Please help me, trying to drive car to TX2K (wonky fuel pressure)

1999 Camaro SS M6 133K miles

the car has been down for about 5.5 years, put new engine in as well as Racetronix FPA-001A, Racetronix FPWH-017 and the red ford injectors as well as a fuel filter (I want to say it is a wix?). All parts are new (hopefully the new parts also work!). The car has been tuned for the larger injectors. The car has about 300 miles on it now.

The car went from being difficult to start to not starting at all. I rented a fuel pressure tester from O'Reillys and the car would prime at 22 PSI and would crank at 58 PSI (see youtube link below). I swapped the IGN relay with one of the fan relays and the car started. I swapped the relays back and the car didnt start again, so I am pretty sure I have a relay issue. The fuses and relays are stock as far as I know, so I ordered all new relays and they should arrive today. I tested ALL of the fuses (the racetronix harness fuse, two engine bay fuse boxes and one interior fuse box) and they are all showing as not blown. I retested the fuel system and the car was cranking at 8 psi and ran at 8 psi too. I also rented a different fuel pressure tester from O'reillys and will test the fuel system again once i swap all of the relays.

I'd REALLY like to drive the car to TX2K and I have a feeling that if I dont get this issue sorted out, I'll end up stranded between DFW and Houston. I would be most appreciative if someone that is sharp with fuel issues could post up about things to check so I can get this ironed out. Hell, if you help me get this ironed out and are attending TX2K, i'll buy you dinner or something!

Thank you. If you have questions, let me know and I will answer them as best I can as quick as I can.

QUESTION:
-In the video below, at about 34 or 35 seconds, what is the click and the corresponding drop in fuel pressure to 48PSI?

Last edited by jdoyle; 03-14-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you check spark with both relays? If it's getting spark with both then it's an injector issue or injector sequence issue.

Last edited by nossty1; 03-15-2016 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

no, i did not check spark with both relays.

are you talking about using one of those inline spark testers that you put after the spark plug?
Old 03-16-2016, 09:17 AM
TECH Regular

No need for a tester. Just pull a plug, plug it back in to the wire, ground the plug to metal on the engine, and try to start the car. You should see the light. (Spark) I see you are local to me. Pm with your number and i will try to help out. Im guessing you will have spark and something is wrong with yiur new injector data or something.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:27 AM
TECH Regular

Sorry just reread and i thought you already got the pressure issue fixed guess not.
Test for spark anyway. I probably have a good relay you can use.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nossty1
No need for a tester. Just pull a plug, plug it back in to the wire, ground the plug to metal on the engine, and try to start the car. You should see the light. (Spark) I see you are local to me. Pm with your number and i will try to help out. Im guessing you will have spark and something is wrong with yiur new injector data or something.
Originally Posted by nossty1
Sorry just reread and i thought you already got the pressure issue fixed guess not.
Test for spark anyway. I probably have a good relay you can use.
thank you for your replies. i did make it to TX2K and back.

i spoke to lonnie at lonnies performance automotive and he said that i should be not be following the factory service manual which states that I should have 55-60 PSI of fuel pressure at prime because the fuel pump is not stock (it is racetronix) and my racetronix fuel pump has different inner workings than a stock fuel pump that prevent it from seeing 55-60 PSI of fuel pressure at first prime. If i prime repeatedly, the fuel pressure continues to rise.

i replaced all of the relays (130K miles) and the car starts at first attempt now.

the thing i have to get figured out now is why the car dies when i push the clutch in when approaching a stop sign or stop light. I have already replaced the IAC valve. the replacement of the IAC valve has improved the situation, but not corrected it. I also think i need to hook up back up with my tuner.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah def need the scanner to run that down.

Quick Reply: Please help me, trying to drive car to TX2K (wonky fuel pressure)