Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

External fuel pumps overheating?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default External fuel pumps overheating?

Got a bit of an issue my friend and I can not figure out. Got a lq9 swaped into an Apache. He is using a 70's mustang fuel tank and an external fuel pump. After about 20 min or so the pumps get hot and fuel pressure goes down so much it won't run. He has tried 3 different external pumps and its the same issue each time. Even tried running wires straight from the battery to see if that was where the issue was coming from. No dice.

We are stumped as what this could be. Any help would be helpful. Thanks. Here is a pic of the setup as it is right now.
Attached Thumbnails External fuel pumps overheating?-20160709_190110.jpg  
Old 07-10-2016, 08:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

The pic is pretty much useless. Can't see the details on the tank plumbing.....
Insufficient return line size?
Insufficient/no tank vent?
Fuel psi is?
Voltage at the pump is?
Pump ground is?
Volt drop testing done?
Old 07-10-2016, 08:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am assuming you are describing a return system? If so, I fought this problem for almost 5 years (with no positive input from Aeromotive). The FUEL is being heated in the normal course of operation and eventually causes the pump to cavitate (which of course, will manifest itself as a "hot" pump).
You will solve your problem if you will go "in-tank" with your pump/s. Any number of manufactures (including Aeromotive) have excellent in-tank systems, and if you search around, you'll find big power systems now supported perfectly !
My problem occurred in a blown 4.6 32 V (560 RWHP), that is installed in my '93 T "Bird...since going in-tank, no problems, no matter how high the outside ambient...
Old 07-10-2016, 11:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Yes it is a return system. I will let him know about in tank solution.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

The picture is hard to see.....but it looks like the pump is higher than the level of fuel in the tank, and on a hose about 6ft long.

Not a bit of wonder it's killing pumps !

EFI pumps must always have a good clean gravity feed. Never have them suck.

Put the pump in a sensible location, make sure there is a suitable filter and ensure an un-interrupted supply of fuel at all times and they will live a long and happy life.

And a large flat tank like that....is less than ideal unless it has very good internal baffling/sump to ensure that un-interrupted supply of fuel.

Quick Reply: External fuel pumps overheating?