Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

How to wire twin 255's

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 05:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default How to wire twin 255's

My C10 is going back under the knife and I would like to supplement the existing 255lph pump with another to support my turbo goals. The interwebz says it's a bad idea to run that pump on a boosted application, so I want to stay ahead of that problem. Any suggestion or ideas on how to do this efficiently and in a cost effective manner?
How does one power the other pump?
Would it be easier to just switch to an AEM 380lph inline pump?
End goal is 500whp on pump gas, with the ac on.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe Lonnie offers a dual hat setup, but I've seen a few topics where people did it themselves . A lot of people will tell you to use the search function here . I find it much harder to navigate and prefer to use google myself .. just run a bap with the 255 you have . My goal is a little higher than yours, but I'm running a 255 with a racetronix Hotwire kit, and a kenne bell boost a pump. I also have 60 lb injectors. I got a feeling I'll be limited at 600 or a little north
Old 09-29-2016, 07:01 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis5374
I believe Lonnie offers a dual hat setup, but I've seen a few topics where people did it themselves . A lot of people will tell you to use the search function here . I find it much harder to navigate and prefer to use google myself .. just run a bap with the 255 you have . My goal is a little higher than yours, but I'm running a 255 with a racetronix Hotwire kit, and a kenne bell boost a pump. I also have 60 lb injectors. I got a feeling I'll be limited at 600 or a little north
You're going to give the same advice that everyone told you was a horrible idea in your thread here...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-i...bap-boost.html

Using a boost-a-pump to supplement a bad pump choice is a bad idea. Unless you're maxing out a pair of 450s and your only option is a huge $600+ single, there isn't much reason to use the boost a pump. The problem is compounded when a Boost-a-pump is twice the cost of just using the CORRECT pump. Logic would say you fail.

kainedogg, if your relay is up to the amperage, just run the power wire to the second pump to the relay with the 1st pump. Then they will come on at the same time and run in parallel. If you want to run it on a hobbs switch, just wire a 2nd relay, use the same 12v signal that's used to turn on the 1st relay, and then run the ground wire through the hobbs switch. Once you hit whatever boost it is set to, the switch will close the ground and kick on the 2nd pump.

I run my duals both on all of the time and haven't had any issues controlling flow or pressure so far.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Dual pumps are ALWAYS a bad idea. With a single, if one pump fails, you go so lean that you won't have enough fuel to damage your motor. With duals,if one pump fails, you may still get enough fuel to get catastrophic detonation. Just run one big pump with a boost or rpm referenced PWM controller. Anything else is begging for an expensive problem.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hear you. With that said, can the AEM 380lph support my 500whp goal. I am not opposed to the twin setup, but if I can get one good pump. That would be great. This is a street truck, that tows a trailer, may never see the track, and what I plan to drive back and forth to the base. 500whp is the max, not the baseline.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:49 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

The AEM 380 should handle 750whp.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Each pump should be on a separate fused circuit for proper protection. One large fuse may not blow when required if the combined current of the healthy and failing pump do not exceed its rating. (especially if the secondary pump is off most of the time / boost activated)

Dual pump solutions offer many advantages over single large pump solutions such as:
  • Reduced heat introduced into fuel
  • Reduced power demands on electrical system
  • Secondary pump has minimal run time
  • Secondary pump may be switched to primary as a backup / failover
  • Reduced chance of pressure rise at idle / part throttle due to excessive fuel volume
  • Reduced noise
  • Ability to run comparative flow testing

We offer dual pump solutions in our web store that are PnP with many common GM platforms:

UDPH-005, Dual Power Harness w/2 x 10Ga circuits, fuses, relays
IDPH-x(application specific), Intermediate Harness interfaces UDPH, factory harness (power trigger and level sensor signal) and module / hanger
BCA, Bulkhead Connector upgrades power feed into module / hanger while maintaining vapor-proof seal
DP-ITWH-x (application specific), Dual In-tank Teflon Harness with redundant grounds.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<

Last edited by Racetronix; 10-11-2016 at 02:25 PM.

Quick Reply: How to wire twin 255's