Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

ZL1 Swap: Return Style w/Walbro 450 and Aeromotive FPR....Am I missing anything?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Question ZL1 Swap: Return Style w/Walbro 450 and Aeromotive FPR....Am I missing anything?

Hey guys, almost finished collecting the various parts needed for my 6.0/ZL1 blower/4L80e swap in my 2003 RCSB (Z71). I ordered a Walbro 450 fuel pump, was pLanning on ordering a Aeromotive boost referenced FPR too. I have searched some, but most guys are retaining the stock FPR on the return style fuel rail. The ZL-1 setup has custom return less style rails, so I planned on putting the FPR in the engine compartment right where the stock feed and return lines are located and then connecting the outlet from the FPR to the inlet on the rails.

If my idea is flawed, please let me know.

Thanks guys.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

I planned on putting the FPR in the engine compartment right where the stock feed and return lines are located and then connecting the outlet from the FPR to the inlet on the rails.

Suggest you run the feed line directly to the rails, then the return to the reg and back to the tank.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Old Geezer

Suggest you run the feed line directly to the rails, then the return to the reg and back to the tank.
There is no return on my custom ZL1 rails. Single inlet only.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Custom rails.....
Attached Thumbnails ZL1 Swap: Return Style w/Walbro 450 and Aeromotive FPR....Am I missing anything?-20161107_191918.jpg  
Old 02-10-2017, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Throw a fitting on the end or have it welded. Not difficult. Correct and best fuel setup is feed from tank to fuel rail inlet, crossover to other fuel rail and out the fuel rail to the regulator, then return back to the tank, thus the whole line including the fuel rail is under direct control of the regulator/pump. Excess fuel is bled off and back to the tank. There are NO negatives to this except drilling and welding a fitting on your custom fuel rails.

Option 2:

Run the corvette style fuel pressure regulator or aftermarket near the back of the tank. Run the feed into the regulator and the return right back to the tank. The single feed from the regulator to the rails should be regulated fuel pressure. The issue is the length of hose and the amount of fuel does not react as quickly to fuel pressure changes as a normal setup would. Thus your draw back. This option is fine but not the best recommended setup, especially in anything requiring instant fuel pressure changes like BOOST.

Quick Reply: ZL1 Swap: Return Style w/Walbro 450 and Aeromotive FPR....Am I missing anything?