Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Smells Very Rich with No Fuel Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smells Very Rich with No Fuel Pressure

My car stumbled and misfired, wouldn't hardly run and died when I gave it gas. My friend hooked up his tek II and it showed high injector voltage and a high MAP sensor voltage. He said the injectors were dumping tons of fuel in and it smelled like a lawnmower. I can hear the fuel pump working, but have basically no fuel pressure at the fuel rail. This doesn't make any sense to me. Does this problem sound familiar to anyone?
Old 09-28-2005, 12:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds exactly what happened with my car...my fuel pump was bad. Replaced it and it runs fine now, fuel pressure is back and not misfiring.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 92CamaroReallySlow
Sounds exactly what happened with my car...my fuel pump was bad. Replaced it and it runs fine now, fuel pressure is back and not misfiring.
Could you hear your bad fuel pump working? Did your car die when you'd give it gas? I actually ordered a new fuel pump, but I started second guessing myself. I just wasn't sure that I'd be able to hear the pump if it was bad, and also I don't know why it would smell so rich with a bad pump.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yea my pump was getting louder and higher pitched than it should have. And my car would die if i gave it gas. Same symptoms. Its still working its just not working very well. And because its misfiring the unburnt gas is being pushed out ( I think).
Old 09-28-2005, 01:31 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for your replys......I sure hope this works. I've been screwin' with my car for a week now trying to find the problem. That does make sense what you said about the misfires and unburnt gas. My car was misfiring and stumbling so bad it would barely run. It looked like I had a couple of fauled plugs also.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well if you have bad fuel pressure, the plugs didnt cause it. I would bet the fuel pump is goin. Is it a stock pump? how many miles? The only other thing is a clogged filter or some other blockage in the fuel lines. Does the pump seem louder than usual?
Old 09-28-2005, 02:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 92CamaroReallySlow
well if you have bad fuel pressure, the plugs didnt cause it. I would bet the fuel pump is goin. Is it a stock pump? how many miles? The only other thing is a clogged filter or some other blockage in the fuel lines. Does the pump seem louder than usual?

I was thinking that maybe the unburned fuel was causing the plugs to foul. It probably is the fuel pump though. It is stock and has many miles on it. Even if it's not the pump, it probably is due for a replacement. I just changed the fuel filter today and it didn't really look that bad. I'd say the pump sounds similar to how it was before the problems....no major difference. I thought it maybe sounded a little loud the other day, but I was also low on fuel. Before my car totally went to crap, I did experience some hesitation a couple of times and pulled a misfore code. Then one day it just started bucking and misfiring like crazy and I barely made it to the side of the road. I couldn't keep it running because it would die when I'd give it gas. It sounded like I just installed a t-rex and had the coil packs on backwards lol.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
My car stumbled and misfired, wouldn't hardly run and died when I gave it gas. My friend hooked up his tek II and it showed high injector voltage and a high MAP sensor voltage. He said the injectors were dumping tons of fuel in and it smelled like a lawnmower. I can hear the fuel pump working, but have basically no fuel pressure at the fuel rail. This doesn't make any sense to me. Does this problem sound familiar to anyone?
My car is doing the same thing, except for its not throwing put any trouble codes... And I have a new holly 255lph pump. If anyone wants to take a stab at that issue. Im guessing something is hooked up wrong on my car. I wish I had the money right now for a complete aftermarket fuel system all together becaus the stock one sucks to work on.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Did you put the new fuel pump in because your car wasn't running right, or did it start after you put the new pump in?
Old 09-30-2005, 01:25 AM
TECH Addict

Just finished installing my new racetronix fuel pump using the trap door method. It went great......besides the fact that my car still won't start and has no pressure at the fuel rail! What is going on? Why no pressure?
Old 09-30-2005, 09:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just fixed my problem! The pressure hose that goes from the pump to the sump inside the tank swelled up and fell apart! I was getting 20psi at the rail and the car ran like crap. Its the hose that holley sends with their pumps to which is the crazy part/
Old 09-30-2005, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

It turns out I don't even have any fuel pressure comming right off the pump at the tank. The pump is definately working though. I'm gonna have to pull the pump and check the sock and tube going into the pump I guess.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes its probabily something simple. Did you recently instale an aftermarket pump and use a regular black hose as the pressure hose inside the tank? If so BAM theres your problem!
Old 10-01-2005, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

I figured out what the problem was. See the racetronix thread I posted last night. Turns out racetronix sent me the power supply harness with the wires backwards, so my pump was not spinning in the right direction.