Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel Starvation? Maybe need a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Starvation? Maybe need a tune?

Have a question for the fueling and PCM gurus out there.
I've recently finished putting a 99 camaro LS1 with around 40k miles in a Datsun.
It hesitates above 3k and it's really noticeable when I get on the throttle. It also pops a bit out the tailpipe.
For fueling I have a fuel cell (plenty of gas in it), walbro 225 lph pump, earls fuel filter before the pump and a corvette filter/regulator after the pump.
It's got 3/8 line running from the pump to the fuel rail (connected by -6 line).
The fuel pressure gauge on the rail has been showing between 40-50 lbs at idle with no change as I rev it up. I can't see the pressure as I drive.
The motor is stock with headers to 2.5 pipe into 3 to the flowmaster. The MAF has had the screen removed, the throttle body has been polished (not ported) it's running a pretty large K&N filter.
Running 2 O2 sensors, one is new, one not.

Could I possibly need a tune with just these modifications?
Should this fuel pump be enough? Looks like the pressure is a bit low for what these motors want.
Don't have a code reader but the check engine light isn't blinking.
The PCM was modified just to get it to run in the car, nothing performance wise was setup.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by stevej; 11-17-2005 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you say the check engine light isn't blinking, does that mean it is on or off? If its on, you should get the codes read just in case. Your best bet would be to find someone with tuning software to connect to your car while you go for a short drive. That way you can check your O2s, injectors, and the MAF to see if any of them are acting up. A descreened MAF behind a K&N air filter is a possible cause as well. A dirty MAF will cause all sorts of fueling related issues. You could try to clean the MAF (carefully!) first, as it would be relatively cheap and quick to see if it helps.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It comes on with the ign and then shuts off when the car starts.
I assumed it would come on during driving or blink if a code is being thrown.
I planned on ordering tuning software, I was just hoping to hold off a bit but I just might need to bite the bullet.
Thanks