Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

My gas doesn't like to burn??

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 06:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My gas doesn't like to burn??

I am trying to get my new engine to work and it just keeps fouling plugs to the point where i can't even get the car started. I have a mix of gas (4 gals over year old 91 and 6 gals brand new 91) but when i pull the #2 plug it is soaked and is black. When a flame is put the plug it does not ignite. The cylinder will fire but if the plug gets too fouled it stops firing and always comes out soaked regardless if it has been firing or not. My ultimate goal is to be able to test each cylinder individually just to see and hear each one fire. I have replaced the plugs, wires, and am at my wits end. I do not understand what could be causing the engine to foul plugs with a liquid that will not burn and must be wiped off to be cleaned. Is it possible that my gas is mixed with a chemical that won't burn? Maybe the two different fuels are not mixing together (old and new). The old plugs are severely tarnished and if i keep trying to fire the engine the way it is i will do the same to the new plugs. Tomorrow i might just drain my fuel system by pumping the fuel out into a gas can. Is there anyway i can test the gas in the gas can? Maybe dip a plug in it and put a flame to it? I just don't know what else to do. I need some serious help.

Here's a link to what i posted in the PCM forum:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/411982-can-t-get-car-start-hptuners-megasquirt-sometimes-wtf.html

Thanks,
Greg
Old 11-27-2005, 02:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I changed my injectors from 26lbs to SVO 42's the car wouldn't run. Too much fuel. I quickly glanced at your other topic, and 90lbs injectors will give you A LOT of fuel. Make sure you are adjusting that probably.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like it is just getting to much fuel and fouling out the plugs. You might want to be careful dumping that much fuel into a new motor, you will wash the cylinder walls out and you wont be able to get a good ring seal.

Have you tried cutting the fuel back? I bet if you put a whole new set of plugs in it would run good for a while till they foul out. Probably just running way to rich. 95 lb injectors are huge.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:42 PM
FormerVendor

If that gas is bad it will gel and you have to drain it all and start fresh.

Nate
Old 11-30-2005, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

what did you change that took a year other than injectors?

look over everything else, are your coils hooked up? coil harness? firing order right? injector order right? you have the right spark plug in?

did you change crankshafts? have you done a relearn?