Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Need help fast Fuel sender Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 06:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help fast Fuel sender Thanks

I need to know which wire is for the sender for the fuel guage. I need to disconnect it for a car show. I need less than a quarter tank of gas and the tank is full so we are just going to disconnect the wire to the guage. We just need to know what wire and where to get at it. Thanks for the help
Old 01-13-2006, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

im assuming youre gonna be inside? just hook up a test line to the fuel rail and jump out the fuel pump relay..pump the fuel into a can.

it needs to be 1/4 tank for a reason.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by UnderPSI
I need to know which wire is for the sender for the fuel guage. I need to disconnect it for a car show. I need less than a quarter tank of gas and the tank is full so we are just going to disconnect the wire to the guage. We just need to know what wire and where to get at it. Thanks for the help
All the sending unit is is a variable ground for the fuel gauge. If you unhook the sending unit, the gauge will go all the way past full and "peg" so youre making it look even worse by doing that! Bill
Old 01-13-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by billg
All the sending unit is is a variable ground for the fuel gauge. If you unhook the sending unit, the gauge will go all the way past full and "peg" so youre making it look even worse by doing that! Bill
so ive concluded from this that when my sender dies, my gauge would read much past full??? can you answer why my gauge is always all the way below E?? my car runs and drives i just have to put gas in it every time i drive

back to the topic i agree with the above attaching the line to the fuel rail and pumping out the gas...
Old 01-13-2006, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by boondiggys
so ive concluded from this that when my sender dies, my gauge would read much past full??? can you answer why my gauge is always all the way below E?? my car runs and drives i just have to put gas in it every time i drive

back to the topic i agree with the above attaching the line to the fuel rail and pumping out the gas...
The gauge is fed power with the key on and the sending unit is its "ground" as its just basically a rheostat that varies the ground and therefor the gauge reading. If the gauge is always showing empty, then its either not getting power or the gauge itself is bad, for the sending unit to do that it would have to basically be shorted direct to ground which is possible but highly unlikely. Just unplug the fuel tank connector under the car, if the gauge response is still empty then the problem is the gauge or its power supply, if it goes to full + when unplugged then its the sending unit. HTHs......... Bill