Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Gas Gauge issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Gas Gauge issues

I've had this issue since I bought my car and after many tanks of gas, it hasn't gotten much better. The gas guage will not read the correct level of gas unless the car was driven and then parked for awhile and then started back up. The gauge always goes up to full when I get on it and never makes its way back down to where it was even during normal driving until the car is parked for awhile.

Prime example was coming back from Kansas City, KS. I stopped at a gas station off the highway and the gauge read 3/4 of a tank. My g/f and I didn't get back in the car for probably 20 minutes. When we got back in the car and I started it up, it read 1/2 a tank.....the true reading.

So the only way I know how much gas I have is in the morning when I start the car in the driveway before I leave for work or in the afternoon when I start the car before I leave work to come home. Otherwise I wing it by eyeballing the tripometer which I reset at every fillup.

So is my sending unit fuct or is this a normal Fbody thing?

Last edited by Dyosis; 03-06-2006 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

mine does the sameee thing... i filled it up and when i pulled out of the station it went to E and the light turned on..car didnt die and as soon as i started driving went all the way back up past F....i just never let it go below 1/4 tank...its annoyin cause i fill up a lot but better safe than sorry
Old 03-07-2006, 09:50 PM
Teching In

yeah, it's normal. although it does suck.