Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

help me diagnose my level sender problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 11:01 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help me diagnose my level sender problem

Any way to test the level sender before I drop the tank again? I have something funky going on with it. I just installed the racetronix kit and when I fired it up I guess I've got something screwed up somewhere ( although I really took my time and paid attention to the wiring when doing it).
The gauge sweeps when I turn the ignition on then stays at empty when the car starts. After I shut the car off the level comes up to where it should be although I need to take the car down to put more gas in it to verify the level is showing correct with the car off.
I'm just not entirely sure how to check the sender before I drop the tank. I know the sender wires are purple and grey/black. I can use a multimeter although I'm not very good with one. Any ideas or help would be awesome before I drop this tank. There's a couple of problems I have with dropping the tank. One is I was really careful when wiring it up. I moved the purple wires one at a time to make sure I didn't screw them up. The second problem is I don't want to start guessing at problems. There's really no way to test it before I put everything in so I don't want to just keep pulling and installing the tank guessing at the problem each time. Any tips or ideas you guys have would be appreciated. I do realize I messed something up somewhere obviously but that pisses me off because the install went really smooth and I took my time but I guess somewhere I just screwed up.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:22 PM
FormerVendor

The sender reads 0 ohms (empty) to 90 ohms (full). What color wires do you have on the connector? The purple should be your sender signal the Gray should be your pump power. then 2 blacks for your grounds for both.

Nate
Old 03-22-2006, 12:08 AM
Launching!

I'd have check all the wires to that plug again to verify all colors but I do know the grey as power to the pump, black as pump grnd, purple as lead for the sender, and a black/white stripe that the haynes shows as ground from the sender. I check ohms across the plug with it unplugged right? and I'm assuming I want to check across the purple lead and the senders ground ( black/white stripe). That will tell me if the purple wires are in the correct slots right? I checked those across the plug last night and got ~40 ohms I think. I wasn't sure I was doing it right so I didn't write anything down.Then to check ground I can power the pump up and check sender ground to ground against the frame and should get no voltage if the ground is good right? What's the best way to do that? Should I strip a little bit of the insulator off then re-tape it or is there a better way? With that water proof plug I would think it would be impossible to check it any other way. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm going on vacation until next Monday so that'll be the next time I get to work with it. If I can at least figure out what I have wrong before taking the tank out that will be a major help.

Last edited by 0rion; 03-22-2006 at 01:57 AM.