Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Help! Engine dying

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 12:36 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help! Engine dying

Ok, so this just started happening tonight. The truck has been running perfect since the engine swap until now. Tonight I came up to a light and it turned yellow so I hit the brakes semi-hard, I come to a stop then all the sudden the truck dies...So I put it back in park and it starts right back up, no check engine light or anything. So I drive into my nieghborhood and drive around for about ten minutes but nothing happens. The truck just keeps running perfect like it always has. I pull in front of my house, hit the brakes while turning to start going up the driveway than all the sudden it almost dies again. So I let it sit there and idle for about 15 minutes. It sat there and ran fine the whole time. I shut it off. I went back out about an hour later, turned the key and started right up no problems. Drove it and the same thing happened, hit the brakes somewhat hard and the truck starts to die but not every time. Sometimes you hit the brakes hard and nothing at all happens.

The truck has a fuel cell in the bed and it is not sumped, so my first thought was fuel slosh was starving the engine when the brakes were hit hard. But, here lies the problem that I have been driving it for about 1.5 months now and I've slammed on the brakes many times before and this has never happened until now.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:49 AM
10 Second Club

Is it tuned?
Old 01-06-2007, 05:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Even though it's never happened before, it sure sounds like fuel is sloshing away from the pump. How much is in the tank?
Old 01-06-2007, 06:21 PM
Launching!

It hasn't been dyno tuned or anything but the computer had to be tuned to get rid of vats and various other thing so the truck would run.

A funny thing about the tank level. When it started dying on stops it was like 20 minutes after I just filled the gas tank up.

Although I was just thinking today that the tank wasn't sealed when it didn't do this. Since I have to have my fuel system tested for leaks to pass emissions. I plugged the small leak it had at the filler neck. That is the only thing I can come up with although it seems odd that such a small leak could vary pressures in the tank enough to cause no fuel slosh problems.

I do agree though. Fuel slosh seems like it is the only explanation to me too. May have to get another fuel cell that is sumped and see what happens.